SASS Wire Forum

Recommendations For a Knife

DocWard

2 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Back to my roots now: Jeans and cowboy type shirts, every day.

Before I came East and married an Eastern girl, I worked summers as a cowboy. (Emphasis on boy!) 

By the way, I used to really like that model of Puma knives. I only ever bought one and stupidly traded it for a foul weather jacket in the Navy. 

• Sad 1

There are specific reasons I chose the Bowie knife. A part of it started as a bit of a joke. So, per my daughter, he didn't believe they were a real thing, beyond the movies. This is probably in part, according to her again, that his parents never let him have more than a Swiss Army Knife when camping. I believe my parents trusted me with my own hunting knife, a Case, when I was about 12.  Now, I'm not knocking the Swiss Army Knife, I always kept mine dummy corded to a belt loop in the field when I was in the Army, and used it more than my issued Gerber multi-tool. But... BUT... A Bowie, or some sort of hunting or camping knife has so many uses when camping, from cutting limbs, to making tinder and kindling, to even splitting wood if using the batoning method, which can be safer than a hatchet for many. He didn't believe my daughter when she said she has done just that. I'm not sure why, considering her appreciation for sharp things. Or maybe it was the fact he just didn't believe she had gone camping since she likes being in the city. Perhaps I need to clarify that with her.

For those who suggested Smokey Mountain Knife Works, thanks. Yes, they have great prices, and they list countries of origin. After comparing many prices, I ended up going with a Bear and Sons:

https://smkw.com/bear-son-gold-rush-bowie-midsize

• Like 5

Congrats @DocWard

I finally drug mine out and snapped a photo. 
IMG_3791.thumb.jpeg.6d6d513cfecd269cf433d43c42ce17c3.jpeg

Made in Soligen Germany by Edge Mark.

I have actually used it to chop wood, make kindling and make suspicious characters leery of hanging out near my camp (nothing egregious, just chopping on wood when they have over stayed their welcome)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Congrats @DocWard

I finally drug mine out and snapped a photo. 
IMG_3791.thumb.jpeg.6d6d513cfecd269cf433d43c42ce17c3.jpeg

Made in Soligen Germany by Edge Mark.

I have actually used it to chop wood, make kindling and make suspicious characters leery of hanging out near my camp (nothing egregious, just chopping on wood when they have over stayed their welcome)

Ver' nice

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2023 at 9:16 AM, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Check out Smokey Mountain Knife Works.  They have a good variety at All price points.

We used to love their TV Show!

When I had a tour with the Arkansas  National Guard every officer I saw had a Bowie  on his belt. The Chaplin had a bone handled Bowie that was the most impressive of them all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

When I had a tour with the Arkansas  National Guard every officer I saw had a Bowie  on his belt. The Chaplin had a bone handled Bowie that was the most impressive of them all.

Did they refer to the knife as a Bowie knife or as an Arkansas toothpick or something else?

10 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Did they refer to the knife as a Bowie knife or as an Arkansas toothpick or something else?

I never asked what they called it, just noticed that they were all wearing one. Everyone had a different design so I supposed that they bought their own,  whatever  took  their fancy.

• Like 1