SASS Wire Forum

Maybe for skeet and cowboy?

Chantry

Hmm, might make an interesting gun for skeet and cowboy shooting

380 grains of BP and 4 ozs of shot should be enough for any bird or knockdown target.  Of course I'm only going to get 18 shells to the pound of powder and about 100 shots per 25 lb bag of bird shot.....

Circa 1874. Cal. 4 bore. 4" Chambers and 42" dovetailed stub Damascus barrels are engraved “E. M. Reilly & Co Oxford Street London & Rue Scribe. Paris.” on relatively narrow concave top rib. B Large nickel-plated Jones underlever action with non-rebounding peninsula back locks have round-bodied serpentine hammers and back sliding safeties.  Weight: 18 Lbs. 12 oz. CONDITION: Excellent, close to new. Barrels retain nearly all of their Damascus brown with only slight silvering at muzzles, and some overall flecking.    

image.thumb.jpeg.a264b61ce0c0048b628500733341085c.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

My shoulder hurts after reading that!:o

I suspect that the recoil isn't bad, mostly a giant shove.  I'll pull both triggers on my 12 pound 10 gauge and that's 3 oz of shot and 240 grains of BP and all that is a strong, rather pleasant shove.   I'm never sore from the recoil although sometimes my arms get tired running it like any other SxS for SASS.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Notice it has both exposed hammers AND a safety.

I thought that was modern lawyer-mandated idiocy, but apparently it's been around for a while.

I believe those are referred to as stalking safeties, they are for hunting. You can carry the gun fully cocked and are much quieter than cocking the hammers. 

I have a friend. I used to hunt with him.

One day I noticed he was using his grandfather's Bay State single barrel 16 gauge. And he's walking along with the hammer cocked. I asked him why, and he said that if something flushed - if we kicked something up - he could get on it much faster without having to cock the gun.

I told him that was idiotic. When he was hunting with his 1100 he didn't walk along with the safety off.

And he said yes he did.

He's still my friend. And I used to hunt with him.

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

My shoulder hurts after reading that!:o

Are you kidding.  My rump just started hurting from the thought of being thrown backwards from that thing.:o:unsure:

46 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

In today’s SASS you won’t even need to fire. Just push the targets over with the long barrels. :rolleyes:-_-

Careful!  They might tip forward and crush ya'!:ph34r:

If you have the money, lots and lots of money, there is at least one gun maker in England that will make you a new 4 bore

Archived