SASS Wire Forum

Dolphins 70 points

Rye Miles #13621

That’s a real trip, congrats to the Dolphins. It’ll be interesting to see where they end up when we start the last march to the Super Bowl. Washington Redskins had their 72 point win in 1966 but didn’t even make the playoffs. Nor did New York. 

The Packers won the Super Bowl in both 1966 and 1967. Although I haven’t watched Professional Football in years, I will be watching to see what the Dolphins can put together for the rest of the season. Every Team they play now will be seriously on guard not wanting to be part of the next romp. 

Thanks Rye, for giving me a reason to tune in again.

13 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

That’s a real trip, congrats to the Dolphins. It’ll be interesting to see where they end up when we start the last march to the Super Bowl. Washington Redskins had their 72 point win in 1966 but didn’t even make the playoffs. Nor did New York. 

The Packers won the Super Bowl in both 1966 and 1967. Although I haven’t watched Professional Football in years, I will be watching to see what the Dolphins can put together for the rest of the season. Every Team they play now will be seriously on guard not wanting to be part of the next romp. 

Thanks Rye, for giving me a reason to tune in again.

I gave up on football for a couple years when the kneeling thing was going on, but now that has stopped I’m back following it. 
I’m a Browns fan’s so it’s been a long drought! They’ve never won a SB. Last time was 1964 before the SB! :blink:

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Last March to the super bowl???

Just the way I’m describing the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:
2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Boy I messed up that post.  Rye, when I was tuning in I always watched the Browns. My wife is from Bowling Green, Ohio. HAD to watch. Lol

That game wasn't televised here and the highlights/recap didn't show much (Cowboys territory here) so can't say what happened but seems that was a little bit of bad sportsmanship. Most teams when they have a significant lead will dial back their offense and/or put in the backups then just eat up a lot of time getting first downs.

They could have broken the record with a field goal but for some reason decided to turn the ball over on downs.   On the one hand I think it was a class act to not rub the Broncos' noses in it, on the other hand, they deprived their fans of seeing a record set that would likely have stood for many decades.  

1 minute ago, Bear Saint Paw said:

That game wasn't televised here and the highlights/recap didn't show much (Cowboys territory here) so can't say what happened but seems that was a little bit of bad sportsmanship. Most teams when they have a significant lead will dial back their offense and/or put in the backups then just eat up a lot of time getting first downs.

Which is worse?  Rub their noses in it by playing the game, or rub their noses in it by saying, "Heck, we can use the ball boy to beat you?"  At the end they decided to pull off and not kick the record breaking field goal.  

2 minutes ago, Bear Saint Paw said:

Fantasy type sports gambling has created a whole new definition of "sportsmanship".

Another is that padding the stats leads to higher (if that's possible) salaries.

Pro and most amateur sports isn't about sportsmanship anymore and hasn't been for a while. It's all about the money these days.

All of that said, I still watch MLB (TB Rays) and NASCAR. I became a Fin fan back when they came into the league as Florida finally had a pro football team. Still am a Fin fan but don't watch the NFL due to the whole kneeling thing, other woke propensities and the babying down of the game. I'll watch some of the playoffs and the Super Bowl...maybe. Glad the Fins set a team record and it's too bad that they didn't try for the overall record.

2 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Fantasy type sports gambling has created a whole new definition of "sportsmanship".

Another is that padding the stats leads to higher (if that's possible) salaries.

Pro and most amateur sports isn't about sportsmanship anymore and hasn't been for a while. It's all about the money these days.

All of that said, I still watch MLB (TB Rays) and NASCAR. I became a Fin fan back when they came into the league as Florida finally had a pro football team. Still am a Fin fan but don't watch the NFL due to the whole kneeling thing, other woke propensities and the babying down of the game. I'll watch some of the playoffs and the Super Bowl...maybe. Glad the Fins set a team record and it's too bad that they didn't try for the overall record.

I disagree, It depends on the team and Head Coach. The Chiefs last weekend were inside the 5 yard line and instead of scoring again with a TD or FG, they just ran the clock out.

If I was coach and my team can score 100 points I’d go for it! The opposition is the enemy! Kill ‘em!:lol:

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Which is worse?  Rub their noses in it by playing the game, or rub their noses in it by saying, "Heck, we can use the ball boy to beat you?"  At the end they decided to pull off and not kick the record breaking field goal.  

You do neither. As I said, Dial back the offense and just eat up the clock.

I took the stand to boycott them when they felt the need to kneel during the National Anthem. I have not gone back on that decision. The NFL isn't of interest anymore. I have better things to do with my time then watch a bunch of babies play a kids game and disrespect this country. 

TM

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Either route is fine by me. Play the game full tilt and run up the score, or give backup players valuable in-game experience. Those players are professionals and should learn from the butt whooping they received.

Youth sports are a different story. I do support mercy rules to a degree. (But I still hate participation trophies!)

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Did the dolphins play backup players in the last quarter?

McDaniels did back off and played 2nd string players. He’s not about that record nor about beating up the losing team. He was Boo’ed by fans all because he made that choice. I didn’t see the game, but I’ve watched the highlights due to Ryes post. McDaniels is definitely a stand up coach. I will start watching to see how this season turns out. But only a few of the teams, those that have the kind of players that turned me off to begin with will not get my time. I’ve always found college football and basketball a much better viewing anyway.

Archived