SASS Wire Forum

Coast Guard

Subdeacon Joe

""I want him in the Coast Guard -- I think it's the safest branch of the service""
This image depicts various theaters the Coast Guard was involved in, drawn by Coast Guard Combat Artist Larry O'Toole.
April 1, 1943.
May be a black-and-white image of text

I suspect more Coast Guards sailors go into harms way a lot more often that Navy sailors do. 

In addition to drug interdiction, Coast Guard ships deploy to the Persian gulf a lot more than most people realize.

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I suspect more Coast Guards sailors go into harms way a lot more often that Navy sailors do. 

In addition to drug interdiction, Coast Guard ships deploy to the Persian gulf a lot more than most people realize.

Not to forget the near-shore rescues during storms.

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I would bet you’re right. 

Years ago I met a guy in my hometown that had joined the Coast Guard in the hopes of not going to Vietnam. He chose Gunners Mate as his rating. As soon as he graduated from gunnery school he was sent to Vietnam. He was assigned as the gunner on a river boat. 
I recall him saying he got 3 Purple Hearts. 

My Uncle Bob what raised me was a "Coastie...."   PBY Flight Engineer and R4d Crew Chief.  He had some good stories.  ^_^

I have a lot of respect for my uncle.  He retired a few years back as any more promotions would have resulted in him no longer being able to fly C130's.  He's doing commercial and Navy flying now.  at one point he was on board a cutter for the biggest drug bust up to that time.

Archived