SASS Wire Forum

Can tuning/action work improve the clicks? Who does tuning now?

Stopsign32v

My Pietta has very faint sounding and feeling 2 and 3 clicks out of 4 (1 and the last is decent). Can/does action work improve or fix this? I reached out to Bozeman Trails with no reply...I don't exactly know where to go for action work on these 2 revolvers I have. They both are beautiful and I will get pictures if you all care once it stops raining.

Thanks for any help you can give

It could be a weak trigger-bolt spring. Wire type especially. Replacing that could make a difference, might also increase your trigger pull. But like Coffinmaker sez, if it functions fine then nothing to worry about. 

8 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I too have a hard time understanding the problem.  You expect it to sound louder?  Want it louder?  Stronger springs would probably accomplish this. 

Yes, may sound dumb but all of my clones thus far have had very positive and distinct clicks. This one feels very muffled and sometimes only feels like 3 clicks. Timing is spot on though! No turn ring even after use.

On 6/21/2023 at 7:49 PM, Stopsign32v said:

My Pietta has very faint sounding and feeling 2 and 3 clicks out of 4 (1 and the last is decent). Can/does action work improve or fix this? I reached out to Bozeman Trails with no reply...I don't exactly know where to go for action work on these 2 revolvers I have. They both are beautiful and I will get pictures if you all care once it stops raining.

Thanks for any help you can give

I don't disagree with any of the comments made so far, but I would add I think I understand what you're wanting to do and why.  I would say you have a couple of options.  Well, three if you include "do nothing" because the gun really doesn't need "fixed".  I doubt you to imply it was broken, but if, like me, you enjoy the clearly audible and tactile "clicks" some revolvers seem to have and others don't, you can certainly install heavier springs.   Problem is, you're very likely going to also get a much heavier trigger along with those nice clicks.  If you're prepared to spend the money, there's probably no out of the box Pietta or Uberti single action that would not benefit from a proper "action job" done by a well practiced gunsmith.  The question is whether that benefit is worth the cost to you.  Some, will benefit quite a bit, others only a little.  The main thing would be to discuss your goals and expectations in advance with the gunsmith you choose.  I've used Bozeman Trail Arms myself, and Tom Sargis's work is among the best, and priced accordingly.  I've also used Long Hunter, and I couldn't be happier with his work.  There's others of course but, again, tell the man up front what you want and he'll advise how to proceed.  

Archived