SASS Wire Forum

Space-X Launches

Subdeacon Joe

Both of these are Falcon 9 launches. They are happening so frequently that they are pretty much routine. 

Here is this morning launch video.

I have not seen a date for the next Starship launch

Having been interested and/or involved in rockets and space since I watched Wernher von Braun on "The Wonderful World of Disney", and later actively involved in rocket engine design and other aerospace activities, I can guaranty there is very little "routine" in the business.  The Space Shuttle (on which I worked with the booster recovery system) was supposed to be  "the DC-3 of the Space Age".  I turned out, tragically, it wasn't close!  The successes of Elon Musk's SpaceX have become something to behold, for certain.  And, so far, they have recovered more Falcon 9 boosters than others have even launched.  Hopefully, their success will continue, and go on with similar success with the Spaceship.  (At this point, I would not hesitate to ride a Crew Dragon atop a Falcon 9 to the ISS or other space mission.)  But never forget the words of Gen. Al Boyd, Chuck Yeager's boss: "The only thing you have to do to prang and airplane is be in it. And the closer you are to the ground, the less time you have to do anything about it!"  So, we must be prepared for problems...and not damning the whole show, if and when it happens.

The Starship/Spaceship will be launched when SpaceX is more sure they have mitigated the problems they encountered in the first launch.  Right now, these are development flights. The two biggest problems to be overcome, are government burocracy (FAA footdragging and environmentalist lawsuits) and the temptation to contract a severe case of "Go Fever" (launching before you are ready).   Right now, NASA is worried about whether the Starship will be ready to go for Artemis III. I may be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that SpaceX might have their own crews ready to greet the Artemis astronauts by the time III is actually launched.

Best of luck, SpaceX! Ad Astra!

Glad that Space-X is taking up the void.

I have to admit though, I am somewhat concerned about the amount of satellites that Space-X is deploying and the capabilities of the satellites themselves. 

Sorry, I just don't trust Elon.

2 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I rather like him.  He's fairly open, seems to support civil rights.  Yeah, he's an arrogant, opinionated SOB, but he makes no bones about it.

Best of all, in my opinion, is that he constantly snaps his fingers under the noses of the elitists, saying, "Why should I give a fig what you think?" 

14 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I rather like him.  He's fairly open, seems to support civil rights.  Yeah, he's an arrogant, opinionated SOB, but he makes no bones about it.

Best of all, in my opinion, is that he constantly snaps his fingers under the noses of the elitists, saying, "Why should I give a fig what you think?" 

I agree with most of his mantra but the hairs on the back of my neck tell me that there's  just something about him or his motives.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Glad that Space-X is taking up the void.

I have to admit though, I am somewhat concerned about the amount of satellites that Space-X is deploying and the capabilities of the satellites themselves. 

I have a feeling that in a short while, within years, the immediate area of space just outside our atmosphere will be like an asteroid field of junk. 
I can see some enterprising folks setting up space junk hauling services to clear the space and make money from what they salvage. 
Of course there will be balking by all the countries that own that junk and a fear within the big governments of someone discovering secrets about what some of them have really been up to these past 50 or more years. 

Archived