SASS Wire Forum

Hypothetical time

Alpo

Been a week or so. Time for another.

You find out that 13 or 14 years ago you fathered a child. The mother didn't tell you this. Now she's dead and child protective services has caught up with you, and because you're a absolutely nice person you decide that you will take your kid.

Logically the child's last name is the same as the mother.

Would you have the kid's name changed, since you, Joe Jones, are the father of young Sam Smith. He should be Sam Jones.

Looking at the question from the other direction. If you were the kid, would you want to have your name changed so that it agreed with your father's, or would you wish to keep the name that you had had for 13 or 14 years?

You keep the kid til they are 16, then discuss it with them and if they and you want, they can legally change their name at 18.

I wonder how many discuss the name change before marriage?

Castle TV show. They fought over their sexual attraction to each other, and finally got married and I believe the sixth season. And they're walking down the hallway and she says, "We're married", and he says, "Yes we are Mrs. Castle", and she immediately says, "Mrs. Beckett". And the look on his face. Like somebody slapped him in the face with a day old flounder. Apparently it had never occurred to him that she would not change her name.

I don't know as it would have prevented my marriage, but finding out that she would not take my name before the ceremony would be a shock. :blink: Not as much as finding out after the ceremony, but it would still be a shock.

I would do everything feasibly possible to insure the safety and well being of the kid, male or female.

I would let them decide about the name change because either way, it wouldn't bother me.

I would not allow the kid to bring any 'carnage' into my home, whether it be in attitude, drug/alcohol,

bad friends, etc.........

I would encourage and help with their school activities and hobbies as much as possible,

such as music, cars, football team, cheerleader squad, etc..........

In other words, I would become active in those things where their interest are.

Basically, I would want to be their Parent & Friend, as much as they would want

to be my child & friend.

..........Widder

One of the first fights I remember my mom and stepdad having about 64 years or so ago was about whether or not he was going to adopt my two sisters and I and change our last names to his. Mom was all for it but I remember him yelling ‘They ain’t mine and they’re not getting my name”. Guess I’m kinda glad I kept my name.

Archived