SASS Wire Forum

Hardened '73 screws

One of our shooters was attempting to take her '73 apart to clean it and stripped

the screw slot of the side plate screw. (Gonna have to drill it off)

I've heard of some harder screws but don't remember where to get them.

Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks 
Marshal Stone

VTI is where I go         GW

Get yourself a 1/4" hand impact driver, it will come in handy.  Even without one, I've opened up a lot of new Ubertis and only buggered a few screws, mostly the lever and carrier screws on the bottom of the toggle guns and revolver gripframe screws.  However, those were all new.  Once broken loose, I have never had a problem getting them loose again, so even those I had to replace were replaced with standard Uberti screws.   But to each his own.

I bought a set of Pioneer hardened screws for the new rifle.  Did not use them because used an impact screwdriver where needed as mentioned above.

Did use the new hardened screws that came with the wire action springs. 

At this point in the learning curve, I question the use of hardened screws because other than the action screws which actually screw into the wire spring plates, not the rifle, the screws are being installed into fairly soft threads on the rifle.  Don't see a real need for hardened screws, just a good set of gunsmith screwdriver bits.

Archived