SASS Wire Forum

How To Act In England

Subdeacon Joe

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

The primary complaint from British soldiers about U.S. soldiers was they were over paid, over sexed, and over here.

WW1 or WW2?

4 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

The primary complaint from British soldiers about U.S. soldiers was they were over paid, over sexed, and over here.

Jealousy, in the main part. It didn't help that the US military scooped up a lot of the girls, because of better uniforms, pay and a feeling that here was something really different.

Canadian troops had a similar, but lesser advantage with the fair sex. 

It also should be remembered, for the British Commonwealth/Empire, WWI began July 28, 1914 ending November 11, 1918 while the Second World War began in September 1, 1939 

America entered WWI December 7, 1917 and WWII December 7, 1941

The British general public felt they had been carrying the can before that, as America's financial and material support wasn't all that well known, but which kept the British from defeat.

If they didn't want us there we could have come home with all our stuff.

And shouldn't they reciprocate when visiting us?

I had a run in with the English wife of an Army Captain.  We were at a large party and she kept getting snotty and calling us "colonials".

I explained, quite politely, that we had beat the English to win our independence, and because we had also pulled their fat out of the fire in two World Wars, I reserved the right to beat the hell out the next English person who called me a "colonial".  (Some alcohol may have been involved and I may have inadvertently crowded into her comfort zone).

She and her husband left and the next day he apologized and told me that he had wanted to tell her that for six years.

I spent 3 months there in 2012 & found all you gotta do is be nice & civil & not one of those ugly Americans Europe abhors.

Archived