SASS Wire Forum

Glad I had the surgery but recovering is hard

Trigger Mike

Since my 6 bypasses I am sick every couple of weeks, sometimes more.  Bronchitis or similar and Tuesday I left rehab thinking allergies were bothering me as my right eye itches and hurt and by Thursday I realized it was probably pink eye.  Went to the doctor and he confirmed it is pink eye.  That very afternoon I felt weak and sore all over like the flu so the next day went back.  Tested negative for strep flu and Covid.  Since my kids just got over strep we assumed it was strep .  Got an antibiotic.  By today still running fever off and on and throat swollen so dr said likely a virus that causes pink eye and pink eye is contagious for 2 weeks.  

I'm glad God blessed me to find the heart problem and get me surgery but I’m not used to being sick all the time.  The words I’m typing are blurry.  My son graduates Monday and dr says I’m contagious until Tuesday and there are several events before then.

Dang, hoping things settle down for you soon Mike.

You will find coughing to be quite scary with your newly healing sternum.
In retrospect, I am glad mine was done 9/22, because the CA allergies are now set upon me in full force, along with sneezing and coughing.

TM: it does get better.

My bride bought an 18-pack of white wash cloths for my recovery.
Each wash cloth is only used on a single area (sternum, leg, thigh) .
It is used only one single time, then bleached and washed.

She washed my incisions in the shower and I hosed myself off.
Her diligence kept me 100.0% free of infection.
This went on for well over a month.

Take it slow and easy... it takes real long time to fully heal.
One of my lodge brothers just got a heart transplant... he is far worse than you or me.

Get solid and reliable advice about when you can return to rifles and shotguns.
I am 8 months out, and not that certain about resuming these yet.

My bride took us to Home Depot where I loaded up 50 lb bags of sand and mulch... and really feeling it in my sternum now.

Keep a close watch on your weight and BP.
Both will take a significant drop after surgery, then both will rise back to pre-surgery levels.
Apparently this is both "normal" and distressing for me.
I'm back to 130/78 and not happy about it at all, despite all the damn drugs and diuretics.
I was thrilled to be at 116/64, but that didn't last.
Neither did dropping from 203 to 168, and now 178 pounds and holding.

So far I have only fired a 22 mag rifle and 300 blackout and very few rounds.  I’m afraid to try anything else yet.

today is the first day since Thursday night I have not had a fever.  Eye not as blurry today but not healed yet.  

Archived