SASS Wire Forum

Teach me about running a short-stroked 1873

Long Gun Preacher

I recently acquired a short-stroked Uberti 1873 carbine.  Sometimes, when running the lever fast, it appears the carrier does not drop right away and the lever jams up for a second or two until I release pressure and the carrier drops and all is right with the world.  Its a beautiful firearm, I love it, but this is my first short-stroked carbine and I am wondering if there is a "technique" that i am missing.  To answer an inevitable question, it was short stroked by a well known and very well regarded 'smith, so that is not the issue.

with thanks in advance

LGP

Sounds like a loose screw on the lifter arm spring, or the spring itself is too weak.   Don't know of anything the operator does wrong to hang up the falling of the carrier.   Ask your smith if he put in tuning for positive slam down of the carrier. 

good luck, GJ

What G.J. said.  With the carbine upside down, there are two screws side by side in front of the carrier opening.  The one on the loading gate side is the one for the carrier (lifter) so make sure it is tight.  If it is, and the gun has aftermarket wire springs in there, those can be bent a little to give more tension.  Also, make sure the carrier opening is clean (with any straight walled cartridges, they it will get dirty in there).  I think a positive slam-down should overcome all that.  

You said acquired.  How old is this rifle in approximately how many rounds has been fired through the gun?  The reason I ask, is that my first rifle, 1873 longhunter 45C carbine, the cam on the lever that the lever spring rides on to reposition the carrier wore down because I didn’t keep it greased properly.  I got a new lever and all is right in the world for this rifle. 

You have not given any information that will help diagnose your problem.

1.  What caliber?  OAL?  Bullet nose profile?

2.  Does it have the problem whether the gun is loaded or empty?

3.  What type of short stroke is it?  C&I, Pioneer, Boogie are "kits" that use new machined parts.  Others use a hack and chop method where the original parts are used but they are cut and welded.  How was yours done?

4.  What other mods have been done?  New carrier and lifter springs?

Please remember something about those lever and lifter springs being discussed.  If you tighten them, one tightens into the lever and other might slip outward.  The opposite applies if loosening these.  Good idea to remove both cover plates when doing these adjustments.  Might discuss this topic with your gunsmith in detail if not familiar with the adjustments.  If you feel any sort of little click when slowly working the lever, possibly slipped.

Archived