SASS Wire Forum

Chronographs for black powder

Johnny Knight

Tossing out a question for those with more experience than I on the topic.  New to black powder shooting and starting to get familiar with a Winchester 1885 Hi Wall in 38-55.  Trying to work up some loads to see what works well for the gun.  Currently loading up some Grafs 2F, but wanting to see how other loadings compare.  Been meaning to pick up a chronograph, but it occurred to me that some might not work as well with the smoke and particles associated with black powder, so I thought I would ask here.

Any recommendations for a particular chronograph for use with black powder?

Any suggestions for setting it up in terms of distance or other staging to address any issues with using black powder?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Regards,

Johnny

Set yourself up a screen between the muzzle and your chronograph. A clear shower curtain works well.  Be sure it is well anchored as the muzzle blast will knock it over.  It helps to set it at an angle to the path of the bullet so that the blast hits it as a glancing blow.

After you have everything set up fire one round so you know where the bullet will impact. Cut a 1 or 2 inch hole around the impact point so that the bullet can pass through without impacting the curtain. This will keep 99% of the smoke away from the chronograph.

you can also use plastic wrap that shipping companies use to wrap pallets. The plastic is tough and will stand up the the muzzle blast. you you can still see through it.

I have used several chronographs for BP.  For years I used a cheap $69.00 Shooting Chrony.  Worked fine, but had a very SMALL area that you had to shoot through.  Now I have base model ProChrony.  Set the Chrony at ten feet from the muzzle and you will be fine.

I also use a Pro Chrono, it seemed to work fine with the exception of particles landing on the sensor. I made a cover out of thin Plexi and it works well. I believe Competition actually sells one. Did have it set too close, abt 10 feet once and my 45-70 BP load blew the plastic front screen right off it!! That was pisser to get back on. :lol:

Just now, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have the shield but only use it for shotgun.  Can't hurt with BP.

https://competitionelectronics.com/products/debris-shield

ProChronoLTDwithdebrisshieldaccessory-TRANS.png.thumb.webp.990018b6d48d699f8287da1891eeb682.webp

Exactly what I made, works well. Thanks

Chronograph should measure the bullet. Smoke and unburned powder exit after the bullet.

Powder that doesn't burn in the barrel BEHIND the bullet is wasted. Looks cool and makes an awesome fireball but wasted.

Archived