SASS Wire Forum

Looking for a Cimarron Arms Cavalry revolver.

28 minutes ago, Jim Brown said:

Wow!  $300 higher than the same gun from Midway. :wacko:   I see this seller also has a Cimarron Holy Smoker for only $145 than the same gun at Midway.  Oh yeah, and free shipping from Midway 

The Cavalry comes in Original, Charcoal, and Standard. I took photos of both the charcoal blue and the standard blue this weekend. I have to say the charcoal blue is stunning.

image.png.ac9a368a83c949b79a55a85261efd61a.png

image.png.1dc78c9503a0c4dbade429a47cbe4af8.png

Thanks guys....I will talk to my FFL in the AM about ordering one from Miday.

I had on years ago and it got away from me.  IIRC it was a 4 click....definitely no transfer bar safety.  The new ones still have no transfer bar safety, correct?

2 hours ago, smokedawg SASS#60968 said:

Thanks guys....I will talk to my FFL in the AM about ordering one from Miday.

I had on years ago and it got away from me.  IIRC it was a 4 click....definitely no transfer bar safety.  The new ones still have no transfer bar safety, correct?

Hi Smokedawg, yes the Cavalry, and all Old Model (BP frame) Cimarron Model P's are still 4-click.

Here's mine 

45Cav-2.jpg

10 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Hi Smokedawg, yes the Cavalry, and all Old Model (BP frame) Cimarron Model P's are still 4-click.

Here's mine 

45Cav-2.jpg

Make sure it is Cimarron for the 4 click.  I purchased a Dixie Gun Works imported old model and it was the 3 click new-fangled Uberti firing pin safety gadget.  (Nice looking Cavalry model, and good photo setup.)

Just for reference here is the official 1875

Rules For The Inspection of Colt’s Army Revolver

Inspection of Cylinders

• Stamp with inspector's letter on surface in the centre line of groove, two-tenths of an inch from rear end of cylinder.
  • Prove and stamp with proof letter “P” on surface in the centre line of groove, two-tenths of an inch from rear end of cylinder. 

Inspection of Barrels

• Prove, and stamp with proof letter “P” on the under side, just forward of base pin.
  • Stamp with Inspector’s letter just forward of proof stamp.

Inspection of Guards

• Stamp with Inspector’s letter on front end, just in rear of the No. of Revolver

Inspection of Back Straps

• Stamp with Inspector’s letter one-tenth of an inch from hammer slot, in line of centre.

Inspection of Stocks

• Stamp with Inspector’s letter in the centre of the right hand side of butt.

Final Inspection

• Sub-Inspector’s full initials as a receiving stamp should be placed on the left hand side of stock, one-tenth of an inch from butt.

The US on the frame was applied by Colt, not by the military inspector.

The Cimarron "Custer" Cavalry has all of these marks. Not all of them are in the exact locations and the Ainsworth "A" looks more like an inverted V but it as close as one can get to the real thing from what I have seen. I suspect this was done to make it harder for fakers to pass them off as real Ainsworth Colts. While this seems implausible, there are many people that show up on the Coltforum showing off the "Colt" they just bought only to find out it is a fake made overseas.

On 12/13/2022 at 6:07 PM, Cholla said:

The Cavalry comes in Original, Charcoal, and Standard. I took photos of both the charcoal blue and the standard blue this weekend. I have to say the charcoal blue is stunning.

image.png.ac9a368a83c949b79a55a85261efd61a.png

image.png.1dc78c9503a0c4dbade429a47cbe4af8.png

I’m a bit different, I love the original finish model the best, just saying.

Archived