SASS Wire Forum

Saab Viggen

Chantry

Impressive landing and take off

It's also the only known aircraft that got a confirmed radar lock on a SR-71 Blackbird and probably the best fighter in the world until the F-14 (1974) & F-15 (1976) entered  squadron service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_37_Viggen#Specifications_(JA_37_Viggen)

24 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Impressive landing and take off

It's also the only known aircraft that got a confirmed radar lock on a SR-71 Blackbird and probably the best fighter in the world until the F-14 (1974) & F-15 (1976) entered  squadron service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_37_Viggen#Specifications_(JA_37_Viggen)

Dang!  He can parallel park that thing!

I used to work at Goodyear Aerospace, we made wheels and brakes for many aircraft. Saab was the only company that would not accept any deviance from print, it was either perfect or rejected.

8 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

What's the little propellor thingy on the port side just about the 7 o'clock position at the rear of the exhaust cone?

Air speed indicator ? Just a wag.

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

What's the little propellor thingy on the port side just about the 7 o'clock position at the rear of the exhaust cone?

Not sure, it's not visible in other photos of the aircraft in flight.  It MIGHT be a ram air turbine to provide electricity to the controls in case of an emergency and I can see a non-emergency use for that in a jet aircraft designed to get in and out of small landing fields and being deployed during takeoffs and landings "just in case".

16 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Not sure, it's not visible in other photos of the aircraft in flight.  It MIGHT be a ram air turbine to provide electricity to the controls in case of an emergency and I can see a non-emergency use for that in a jet aircraft designed to get in and out of small landing fields and being deployed during takeoffs and landings "just in case".

You can see it better in this video

And a screen capture:

Viggen.png

32 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I posted to a private FB page that is heavy with military aviation buffs and and within about two minutes got a confirmation that it is indeed a RAT, which I then had to ask for a translation of because I just remembered "air turbine."  

Saab also sold a high performance auto named Viggen (Thunderbolt).  As part of the purchase Saab had arranged for a 1 or 2 day training course at a track somewhere down south, as I recall.  A very fast car, maybe too fast for most, but I couldn't resist it. 

2 hours ago, Chantry said:

Not sure, it's not visible in other photos of the aircraft in flight. 

Someone asked why it was deployed,  and looking closely there does seem to be an open hatch below the pod,  So maybe it only deploys under certain conditions.

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I posted to a private FB page that is heavy with military aviation buffs and and within about two minutes got a confirmation that it is indeed a RAT, which I then had to ask for a translation of because I just remembered "air turbine."  

Now if I could remember my name, where my keys are and what I came into this room for.....

13 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Someone asked why it was deployed,  and looking closely there does seem to be an open hatch below the pod,  So maybe it only deploys under certain conditions.

Probably done as part of the airshow. Other than access for maintenance there is no reason to deploy it on the ground.  Takes a lot of air flowing over the blades to make it work properly.  F-4s had them. IIRC they consisted of a small generator and emergency hydraulic pump.

Archived