SASS Wire Forum

"Dragon" Brand BP

Good afternoon,

I recently acquired a pound (FFF) of "Dragon" brand BP, made in China. It appears to have been stored well. It is a yellow can, with a cartoon "Rebel" on front of a Confederate style Flag. Does anyone have any experience with this powder? I was planning on loading up the Shotgun. I would surely appreciate any and all words of wisdom.

Thank you in advance,

Spoon

Never heard of if.

Tried Google & it didn't show up.

Please post pic.

If it looks good, I'd shoot it, I've shot BP that was over 40 years old that worked fine.

I have gone through hundreds of pounds of Dragon as well as many other brands.

Dragon is about 5% to 10% less power than Goex or Schutzen.

If you load shotgun rounds and are happy with your load, Dragon will work well using the same press setup without changes.

1 pound will not last long.

Dragon powder got caught up in the China embargo a few years back.

A couple of ships where anchored of shore and not allowed to unload.

Finally the ships got permission to leave US waters and went I do not know where.

Thank you very much for that information. Sounds like it will work just fine. I just ran out of GOEX and came across this and thought it might be worth a try. I can now go forward with confidence.

Thanks again and take care - Spoon

Generally (not talking Dragon here), the Chinese have been making BP for longer than any other country.    It's not a high tech product

Not hard to make shotgun-capable BP.

I'd be worried a LOT more about finding a steady supply.    Case in point - was using Elephant brand from Brazil.  Dried up

Switched to Kik brand made in Slovenia.  It's still available, and much less likely to be sanctioned than Chinese product

Next time you buy, plan on getting a bulk-buy (25 or 50 lbs) together with a friend or two, have it haz mat shipped to your door.  Unless your vendor is close enough to drive back home from in a day.

good luck, GJ

Dragon BP was sold and distributed by a gun shop out of Standford Kentucky.  He bought this powder on 25 lb bags ( I don't know from who). Then transferred it into the 1lb cans he had made for it, you could buy the 25 bag from him for substantially less.  Several years he blewup himself,his gun stop and his house.

A friend and I bought 50 pounds of it(3F) and I put all in empty Goes cans we had accumulated.  After using it in one match we decided to use on shotgun only because it founded the rifle and pistols so badly the had to be cleaned after shooting one,two stages tops.

I knew others who used it that told me it fouled less than Goex. I don't know if the he bought from different suppliers and quality varied from batch to batch. I can only give an evaluation on my experience with it.

Sidebar: sell the empty can on ebay when you are done loading shotgun shells.  They sell for $15-$40.  My wife sold some MT dupont cans from father's estate for ten times what he paid for them new and full back in the sixties.

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Generally (not talking Dragon here), the Chinese have been making BP for longer than any other country.    It's not a high tech product

Not hard to make shotgun-capable BP.

I'd be worried a LOT more about finding a steady supply.    Case in point - was using Elephant brand from Brazil.  Dried up

Switched to Kik brand made in Slovenia.  It's still available, and much less likely to be sanctioned than Chinese product

Next time you buy, plan on getting a bulk-buy (25 or 50 lbs) together with a friend or two, have it haz mat shipped to your door.  Unless your vendor is close enough to drive back home from in a day.

good luck, GJ

Some states have BP regulations that limit storage of BP to less than the federal regulations.  Check with your state.

Yep, anyone who is not familiar with the BP codes in their city and state is being foolish to order or transport or store until they learn how.   Great advice, GJ

Archived