SASS Wire Forum

Need someone that speaks British

Alpo

I don't speak British. I speak American. I understand a lot of British, but I can't really say I'm fluent in it.

IN THE BOOK

A man is going to make a telephone call. He specifies that it is going to be AD and C call.

"The police station is not too far. I’m sure I can persuade them to let me make a call when the matter is so urgent. An AD and C call of course. The rate-payers’ pockets mustn’t suffer."

I'm assuming, from the last sentence, that is a collect call - the recipient will pay the toll charges.

But I don't know for sure. Does anyone know what an AD and C call is?

Posted this on another board. Someone responded that it was Advise of Duration and Charge. Didn't say what that meant, but I'm going to take a guess.

I would see this occasionally in old movies. Someone would make a long distance call, and after the call was over the operator would call back and tell you the charges. So if I was a Hardpan's house and wanted to call my daughter in Georgia, after I said bye-bye baby and hung up the operator would call back and say that call lasted 18 minutes and 26 seconds and cost $5.83. So I give Hardpan 6 bucks to cover as Long distance bill.

21 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Posted this on another board. Someone responded that it was Advise of Duration and Charge. Didn't say what that meant, but I'm going to take a guess.

I would see this occasionally in old movies. Someone would make a long distance call, and after the call was over the operator would call back and tell you the charges. So if I was a Hardpan's house and wanted to call my daughter in Georgia, after I said bye-bye baby and hung up the operator would call back and say that call lasted 18 minutes and 26 seconds and cost $5.83. So I give Hardpan 6 bucks to cover as Long distance bill.

I recall doing this on pay phones back in the 70’s. When the phone company trusted people and people were trustworthy enough that the phone company would do this. Then one day scumbaggery set in and that ended that. 

Archived