SASS Wire Forum

Of Viands and Victuals

Subdeacon Joe

I have not made this recipe and have no interest in doing so but I thought it appropriate for the Saloon.

Rich and Flavorful Guinness Beef Stew With Potatoes

Ingredients 

• 1 cup (250mlhomemade chicken stock or low-sodium broth (see notes)

• 4 packets unflavored powdered gelatin (3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon; 30g) (see notes)

• 4 tablespoons (60ml) vegetable oil, divided

• 3 pounds (1.25kg) whole boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 3 steaks

• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

• 1 1/4 pounds carrots (500g; about 3 large carrots), 1/2 pound (250g) peeled and split lengthwise, 3/4 pound (350g) cut into large dice (about 1 1/2 cups)

• 6 ounces parsnips (175g; about 2 small), half peeled and split lengthwise, half cut into large dice (about 1/2 cup)

• 1 pound yellow onions (500g; about 4 medium), half peeled and split in half through the root, half cut into large dice (about 1 cup)

• 4 medium cloves garlic, lightly crushed

• 1/4 cup (60ml) espresso or strong brewed coffee

• 1 ounce (30gbittersweet chocolate

• 2 (15-ounce) cans Guinness Draught beer (900ml)

• 1 bouquet garni (about 4 sprigs thyme, 3 sprigs parsley, and 1 bay leaf, tied together with kitchen twine)

• 1 tablespoon (15ml) Asian fish sauce

• 1 tablespoon (15mlsoy sauce

• 1 tablespoon (15ml) Worcestershire sauce

• 2 tablespoons (20g) all-purpose flour

• 8 ounces small waxy potatoes (225g; about 20), such as baby Yukon Golds

• Minced flat-leaf parsley leaves and tender stems, for garnish

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Pour chicken stock into a medium bowl and sprinkle gelatin evenly all over surface, allowing each packet's worth of gelatin to soak up stock before sprinkling next one on (if the gelatin clumps instead of dissolving evenly, you can use a blender to fix it). Set aside.

2. In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons (30ml) oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Season beef all over with salt and pepper and add to Dutch oven. Cook, turning occasionally, until beef is well browned on 2 sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer beef to a rimmed baking sheet.

Browning large pieces of beef chuck in a Dutch oven

Serious Eats/Vicky Wasik

3. Add split carrots, split parsnip, halved onions, and garlic to Dutch oven and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes; lower heat if browned bits on bottom of Dutch oven threaten to burn.

Browning large split pieces of carrot, parsnip, and onion in Dutch oven

Serious Eats/Vicky Wasik

4. Scrape chicken stock and all gelatin into Dutch oven. Add coffee, chocolate, Guinness, bouquet garnis, fish sauce, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer, then lower heat to maintain simmer. Meanwhile, cut beef into 2-inch chunks and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add flour and stir until beef is evenly coated in a floury paste. Add beef and any accumulated juices to Dutch oven. Transfer to oven, cover with lid partially open, and cook for 1 hour, stirring every 30 minutes. Add potatoes and continue to cook until beef is starting to become tender, about 30 minutes longer.

Collage of adding chicken stock, coffee, chocolate, and Guinness to Dutch oven with browned vegetables

Serious Eats/Vicky Wasik

5. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons (30ml) oil. Add diced carrot, parsnip, and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside.

Sauteeing diced carrot, parsnip, and onion in a skillet

Serious Eats/Vicky Wasik

6. Remove stew from oven. Using tongs, fish out and discard large pieces of carrot, parsnip, and onion. Discard bouquet garnis. Using a ladle, skim off and discard accumulated fat on surface. Add reserved sautéed diced vegetables to stew, return to oven, and cover with lid slightly cracked. Continue to cook until beef and potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes longer, removing lid for last 25 minutes.

Adding sauteed vegetables to simmering beef stew

Serious Eats/Vicky Wasik

7. Remove stew from oven. If serving right away, skim off any additional fat from surface. Season with salt and pepper, if needed. Allow to cool slightly before serving, then serve topped with parsley. If making ahead, cool down stew, then chill in refrigerator; remove solid fat cap from surface once fully chilled. Reheat stew on the stovetop or in a low oven.

Bowl of Irish Guinness Beef Stew garnished with chopped parsley, served with slice of bread

Notes 

If using homemade chicken stock that's rich with gelatin, you can decrease the gelatin in this recipe by half.

recipe and text can be found at Serious Eats.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Pour chicken stock into a medium bowl and sprinkle gelatin evenly all over surface, allowing each packet's worth of gelatin to soak up stock before sprinkling next one on (if the gelatin clumps instead of dissolving evenly, you can use a blender to fix it). Set aside.

I don't recall seeing that trick before.  Basically, you are making your own demi without all the hassle of making a demi.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

I have a question about flour.  I  was looking at Eastern European breads for Pascha and came across a Romanian one that looks interesting.   If kulich and cheese pascha got married and had a pastry... 

https://bucate-aromate.ro/2022/04/pascute-cu-branza-dulce/#recipe

pastry dough

500 g flour type 000

100 g of sugar

50 g butter 82% fat (melted and cooled)

7 g instant dry yeast (or 25 g fresh yeast)

220 ml milk 3.5% fat

2 egg yolks

5 g of salt

1 teaspoon grated lemon peel

Do you know, would 000 flour be like what we call cake or pastry flour?  Maybe a mix of AP and Pastry flour?  Or just ignore it and use good old AP flour?

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

@Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

I have a question about flour.  I  was looking at Eastern European breads for Pascha and came across a Romanian one that looks interesting.   If kulich and cheese pascha got married and had a pastry... 

https://bucate-aromate.ro/2022/04/pascute-cu-branza-dulce/#recipe

pastry dough

500 g flour type 000

100 g of sugar

50 g butter 82% fat (melted and cooled)

7 g instant dry yeast (or 25 g fresh yeast)

220 ml milk 3.5% fat

2 egg yolks

5 g of salt

1 teaspoon grated lemon peel

Do you know, would 000 flour be like what we call cake or pastry flour?  Maybe a mix of AP and Pastry flour?  Or just ignore it and use good old AP flour?

What I remember (?!?!?) of 000 flour is that it’s used in pastas and is hard to work. I don’t see 000 on line, 00 and 0000 but no 000. I’d use AP, not pastry flour.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

What I remember (?!?!?) of 000 flour is that it’s used in pastas and is hard to work. I don’t see 000 on line, 00 and 0000 but no 000. I’d use AP, not pastry flour.

Thanks.   I  found the answer in the blog just now.  When I first found it I did my usual jump to the receipt,  not bothering with the 7 pages of front matter.  This morning I ran it through a translation program and read all of it and found 

"use pastry flour, type 000, of good quality."

I might still use AP because similar receipts just say "flour. "

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Thanks.   I  found the answer in the blog just now.  When I first found it I did my usual jump to the receipt,  not bothering with the 7 pages of front matter.  This morning I ran it through a translation program and read all of it and found 

"use pastry flour, type 000, of good quality."

I might still use AP because similar receipts just say "flour. "

I saw what you translated))) and I thought where it said “use pastry flour” I thought it was because the translation program did not really know the differences among flours.  Nobody that I’ve ever seen uses yeast with pastry flour.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I saw what you translated))) and I thought where it said “use pastry flour” I thought it was because the translation program did not really know the differences among flours.  Nobody that I’ve ever seen uses yeast with pastry flour.

Yeah, very odd.  But consider that chemical leavening has only been around for less than 200 years.   That means yeast, probably in the form of barm, was used before that.  

"As with cakes, we use pastry flour..."

• făina - ca și la cozonaci, folosim făină de patiserie, tip 000, de bună calitate.

I may still use AP. Hmmmm....maybe make a small batch of each to compare. 

9 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Maintained my cookware this morning. Saved off the bacon grease, rinsed in cold water and cleaned out the crumbs. Spoon full of lard to wet the surface. 

Skillet3262024.jpg.4dbddb77585faf3625ad4a631d6646f3.jpg

Nice looking pan.  How long have you had it?

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Nice looking pan.  How long have you had it?

It's not an antique or family heirloom.  Most likely just a Lodge.  Had it a while.  I typically don't let Mary use it.  She'll burn something in it or make something sloppy caked on. Then I'll find it in the sink "soaking". 

• Thanks 1

Shipwreck casserole

I didn’t make this but thought the name alone made it saloon worthy.

• Ground beef: Start with a pound of lean ground beef. You can also use ground turkey.  
  • Macaroni and cheese mix: Stir a package of macaroni and cheese mix into the ground meat. 
  • Canned tomatoes: You’ll need a can of diced tomatoes. 
  • Milk: A cup of milk helps create a rich and creamy sauce. 
  • Frozen vegetables: A combination of frozen peas and frozen corn adds color and flavor. 
  • Salt: Seasoned salt enhances the overall flavor of the easy dish. 
  • Cheese: Shredded Cheddar cheese helps bring the whole thing together. 
  1. Cook the beef until brown and crumbly. 
  2. Stir in the mix, tomatoes, milk, and frozen vegetables. 
  3. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the pasta is tender. 
  4. Season and add the cheese. 
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Shipwreck casserole

I didn’t make this but thought the name alone made it saloon worthy.

• Ground beef: Start with a pound of lean ground beef. You can also use ground turkey.  
  • Macaroni and cheese mix: Stir a package of macaroni and cheese mix into the ground meat. 
  • Canned tomatoes: You’ll need a can of diced tomatoes. 
  • Milk: A cup of milk helps create a rich and creamy sauce. 
  • Frozen vegetables: A combination of frozen peas and frozen corn adds color and flavor. 
  • Salt: Seasoned salt enhances the overall flavor of the easy dish. 
  • Cheese: Shredded Cheddar cheese helps bring the whole thing together. 
  1. Cook the beef until brown and crumbly. 
  2. Stir in the mix, tomatoes, milk, and frozen vegetables. 
  3. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the pasta is tender. 
  4. Season and add the cheese. 

I take it that this is a stovetop Casserole since it doesn't mention baking.

Mayo-pesto sauce

i like pesto, often make it myself. I end up with far more than I can use. Yes, I know I can freeze it. Anyway, I figured I’d try a variation.

this recipe uses a mix of mayonnaise, pesto, mustard, and lemon juice in the ratio of 8:4:2:1, mix, let flavors marry overnight in the fridge, use. I’d use it on some pastas, roasted potatoes, other places that I’d dress with pesto.

I’ve made Mayo, pesto, and mustard but for this I’m using everything store bought.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Mayo-pesto sauce

i like pesto, often make it myself. I end up with far more than I can use. Yes, I know I can freeze it. Anyway, I figured I’d try a variation.

this recipe uses a mix of mayonnaise, pesto, mustard, and lemon juice in the ratio of 8:4:2:1, mix, let flavors marry overnight in the fridge, use. I’d use it on some pastas, roasted potatoes, other places that I’d dress with pesto.

I’ve made Mayo, pesto, and mustard but for this I’m using everything store bought.

That would be killer on a roast beef or roast pork sandwich. 

• Thanks 1

May be an image of text

I'm going to assume that the "400 gs of Vinegar" is 400 gills, which is `12 1/2 gallons.
So, 60 gallons (380 pounds) of Tomatoes, 3 gallons (about 17 pounds)) of Onions, and 12 1/2 gallons of vinegar.
about 1 1/2 gallons of salt, and 4 1/2 gallons of sugar. 2 1/4 teaspoons of all the oils, except allspice, which is 1 1/2 tsp.

image.thumb.jpeg.0056b61551ad3e5973eeeb1444830fe2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Did you ever peel a pomegranate?

this method looks easier…

I first saw that about 2 years ago and tried it, it works well.  You can lift out each section with no trouble.

I wish I had known about it 55 years ago when we were juicing shopping bags full of pomegranates to make jelly.

• Thanks 1

Instant Pot Pinto Beans (No Soaking)

Ingredients

3 slices bacon (optional) If not using bacon add 2 tsp Vegetable Oil

4 cups chicken broth

1 pound dried pinto beans, rinsed

1 ½ cups water

½ cup chopped onions, or to taste (Optional)

2 green chili peppers

1 ¼ teaspoons garlic powder

1 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon chili powder

½ teaspoon ground cumin

½ teaspoon paprika

Directions

Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot) and select Sauté function. Add bacon and cook, turning once, 4 to 6 minutes. Add chicken broth, pinto beans, water, onions, chile peppers, garlic powder, salt, chili powder, cumin, and paprika. Close and lock the lid.

Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 45 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.

Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, 10 to 40 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid.

Remove bacon and chile peppers; chop to desired consistency and return to the pot. Mash beans with a potato masher until they reach desired consistency.

(Lenten version – omit bacon.  2 pounds Pinto Beans, rinsed; 1 cup chopped Onions; 2 large Garlic cloves, grated; 1 TBS Chili Powder; 1 TBS Taco Seasoning, ½ tsp each Cumin & Paprika; 2 Guajillo Peppers, stemmed and seeded; ½ cup Vegetable or Vegan Chicken Bouillon Powder, 2 tsp Kosher Salt; 10 cups Water.  Sauté Onions, Garlic, and peppers.  Add rest of ingredients, Stir, Close and cook as above.) Remove Peppers before serving.  

As usual, play seasonings to suit your own tastes. I think after Pascha I'll make this with a ham hock instead of bacon.

• Like 1

We got LOTS of vegetables from the Food Bank this morning, as well as another 2 pound block of a Velveeta-type cheese (which gave us something like 10 pounds of it).  What to do?

Moroccan Inspired Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup (optional cheese)

1 Medium Onion, chopped

4 Large Carrots, diced

1 ½ bunches of Celery, chopped

2 pounds Sweet Potatoes (some orange, some white), diced

1 Medium Cauliflower, cored and chopped

4 or 5 Cloves of Garlic, minced

2 TBS each Butter and Oil

¼ tsp Black Pepper, ground

1/3 cup Chicken or Vegetable soup base

¼ tsp Aleppo Pepper flakes

1 TBS Savory Spice Shop Mt. Baker Chai Seasoning  *

Water to Cover

(optional, about ½ pound of Velveeta or American Cheese, grated)

Prepare all your vegetables.  Heat large soup pot over medium heat, melt butter and oil, add onions, sauté until translucent, add carrots and celery, sauté a few minutes.  Add remaining vegetables and cook a few minutes to sweat them.  Add soup base, pepper, and Aleppo Pepper, stir.  Add water.  Bring to boil, reduce to simmer.   Let simmer until all vegetables are soft.  Blend to desired consistency with an immersion blender.  Adjust seasonings to taste. If desired, add grated cheese and stir until melted.  Serve hot or cold.  Play with seasonings to suit your own tastes. 

*From the website: Saigon and Indonesian cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, black pepper, star anise, allspice, bay leaves

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

“Heat large soup pot”

Come on now you know you will need the bigger one.

But if I start with my LARGEST soup pot I'll STILL need a larger one, but I won't have it!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

SOB  for dinner. 

I  thawed some shrimp for dinner tonight.   About 3/4 pound of 31-40 EZ-peel (deveined, shell on). 

I started cutting it into bite-sized pieces and wondering just what to do with it.   "Ah! I'll just cook up some spaghetti,  make a lemon-garlic sauce."  Went to the stove to start some water and saw the plate of leftover biscuits from breakfast.  Hmmmm......biscuits....."I'll make SOB!" That's Shrimp On a Buscuit.

Finished cutting the Shrimp, sprinkled a bit of Smoked Hot Paprika,  a pinch of Salt,  a smaller pinch of Aleppo Pepper, and a few grinds of Black Pepper on it.  Grated in 2 cloves of Garlic,  the Zest of one Lemon, and squeezed the juice of half the Lemon onto it.  Stirred it some to coat the Shrimp. 

In my nonstick skillet over medium heat, I put about 1 TBS of Garlic Infused Oil*, 1 TBS Margarine**.  When the Margarine had melted I added the Shrimp.   Sautéed it until about half done, added about 2 TBS of flour.  Stirred until the Flour was coated with the fat, then slowly added about a cup and a half of Unsweetened Coconut Milk**.  Cooked, stirring constantly until thickened,  and added the juice of the other half of the Lemon. 

Served over a Biscuit I had broken into a bowl. Pretty tasty. 

20240415_172309.thumb.jpg.1ac329ea988fa8b5b9e7bb60f55d4f71.jpg

*I buy small containers of peeled garlic and put most of it in a small har of oil in the refrigerator,  it's often less expensive than buying whole bulbs, but with just the 2 of us a lot would go bad if I didn't cover it with oil.

**If not a fast day,  these would be Butter and regular Milk.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
Typo
  • Like 1

Stone cooking supports used to grill skewers of meat by Minoans on Santorini, circa 3600 years old. The line of holes in the base supplied coals with oxygen. Many consider modern "souvlaki" street kebabs a direct descendant of this portable food system. Museum of Prehistoric Thera, Greece.

May be an image of childrens toy