SASS Wire Forum

Ultrasonic brass cleaning

Oak Ridge Regulator

I’m not sure if this has been posted here before but I got tired of paying big bucks for Hornady, Lyman and RCBS case cleaning solution so on a friends recommendation I tried Simple Green HD, it’s made for metal and is purple not green, I used app 1/4 cup in a gallon of water, it wasn’t even enough to turn the water colored, 20 minutes on cold and wow what a difference, I did it a second time for 20 minutes but dident really need to, took off all the Trail Boss soot on my 45s and 38s, it did not however have any effect at all on the couple of black powder stained cases I threw in as a test, after about 2k cases I had to make a new batch but it’s a LOT cheaper and does a lot better job than the other cleaners I have tried, I’m going to try it heated next since the cleaner has that option, hope this helps others who use ultrasonic

I use the Simple Green Extreme. It's formulated for marine use. It's much more mild than regular SG. It's clear abs or works great. 

JEL

I have been contemplating getting one of those Ultrasonic cleaners lately.  They work very well for completely disassembled gun parts.  I'll still use my Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler for cleaning brass.  

Bob,  I have 2. The large Hornady and a $65 6"x5"x14" heated one from Amazon.  Last night I cleaned an AR bolt in that one that had 600ish rounds on it. I set it at 45° C for 8 minutes. It came out looking like brand new. No scrubbing. Like I said I use Simple Green Extreme mixed with water.  It works great. 

I rarely use the Hornady. It's large enough to do a complete AR but it's also a pain to fill,  move,  drain,  etc. 

JEL

Does the Simple Green leave any type of residue on your brass?  Also what’s the best way you’ve found to get the brass dry and moisture free. 

I have done about 4k rounds of brass now and as far as I can tell once I rinse the brass in cold water there is no residue on the case inside or out, they are squeaky clean, I did use a heated solution on the second batch of cases and it does work a little better, I am also using distilled water because my well water has enough lime in it to make a drinking glass have a white film if you let it evaporate and that might cause an issue if I used it

21 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Does the Simple Green leave any type of residue on your brass?  Also what’s the best way you’ve found to get the brass dry and moisture free. 

I haven't done the SG yet, (still have lots of The Hornady cleaner), but I found that about 45 minutes with the oven @ 170ºF with the brass spread out on a cookie sheet covered with a couple layers of paper towel, (brass on top of the paper towels).  

I dry mine in an old food dehydrator. Run it for an hour or so.

Archived