SASS Wire Forum

June 18 -- Waterloo Day

On June 18, 1815, the Battle of Waterloo was fought.

The Battle of Waterloo always make the list of the most decisive battles in history.  It is claimed that more books have been written on the Battle of Waterloo and the Battle of Gettysburg than any other battles in history. 

So for those that like war movies, below is the best movie on the Battle of Waterloo staring Rod Steiger (Napoleon) and Christopher Plummer (Wellington).  Although there are some inaccuracies, the movie is overall historically accurate.  I think it's a great war movie!

Wellington said after the battle, "Nothing is more melancholy, save a battle lost, than a battle won."

Here is the Medal issued to British participants in the battle.

Named to a member of the Royal Artillery.

From my collection. 

Medal for the Battleof Waterloo.JPG

50 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Who would the gentleman in the top hat be?

Mo, if you are referring to the general in the Waterloo movie, that would be Lt Gen Picton. 

Picton was a hard fighting, crude mannered man, that language could put Patton to shame.   He is considered as one of Wellington's best generals.

Picton had eye problems and sun caused his eyes grief.  Not one for fancy clothes, to protect his eyes he wore a top hat and carried an umbrella.  His staff wore equally shabby clothes while in the field.  They were called "The Rag-a-Muffin" bunch.

One of my 15mm British Generals is General Picton.

xJbrmq.jpg

20 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Mo, if you are referring to the general in the Waterloo movie, that would be Lt Gen Picton. 

Picton was a hard fighting, crude mannered man, that language could put Patton to shame.   He is considered as one of Wellington's best generals.

Picton had eye problems and sun caused his eyes grief.  Not one for fancy clothes, to protect his eyes he wore a top hat and carried an umbrella.  His staff wore equally shabby clothes while in the field.  They were called "The Rag-a-Muffin" bunch.

One of my 15mm British Generals is General Picton.

xJbrmq.jpg

Ahhh, so that is why His Grace the Duke made the remark about being well dressed for battle and addressed his comment toward Picton.

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Ahhh, so that is why His Grace the Duke made the remark about being well dressed for battle and addressed his comment toward Picton.

Wellington may have needled Picton about his dress, but Wellington, although a sharp dresser himself, never really cared how his men were uniformed.  He just wanted them to march and fight!

Archived