SASS Wire Forum

‘‘Tis the season: Morel mushrooms

Just after daybreak this morning I decided to take my dog for a walk around the lake. I checked out the beehives and they are bearding up on the outside about ready to split   I checked the swarm box, nothing yet.

years ago my wife planted irises on the corner by the spring. Doesn’t get as much sunlight and stays kinda damp. Anyway I’m looking down thru the brush and I see what looks to be a huge morel mushroom. As I’m looking I keep spotting more. These things are five to six inches. Their everywhere. 

Now ive lived here for 25 years and never seen them. I usually have to go to my hunting property to find them. 

I gathered nearly 5 lbs. got them cut and soaking in salt water right now

check this out. Les than 10 minutes to collect

25CED33A-EEF3-4FD9-9354-EB282C632467.jpeg

AF52C086-C76E-4A96-B8C5-9606AF36CB41.jpeg

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Why soak in salt water?

I have never gone mushroom hunting, and no absolutely nothing about it.

Salt water kills the bugs and bacteria. Unless you want the extra protein. 

Ill soak them and rinse them for 24 hours. Then put them in a flour and season mix of my own, set them on a tray and into the freezer over night. They are cut long ways in half.  Then put them in freezer bags. Take them out as I want them and fry and garlic butter. Otherwise the wife makes a killer mushroom soup that she grew up on with her grandma up in Ohio

24 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Amanita phalloides?  :D

Death caps don’t look anything like morels. Aminata variants are the typical mushroom shape most people think of.  Add the stupidity of some is the aminita Musaria. Or purple dot cap and you get into the hallucinogenic world. Die or trip. Typical cap shape. The only look alike with morels or solid in the center and don’t have that shape. Simply cut it through the center and it should be hollow. 

Just now, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Death caps don’t look anything like morels. Aminata variants are the typical mushroom shape most people think of.  Add the stupidity of some is the aminita MSU aria. Or purple dot cap and you get into the hallucinogenic world. Die or trip. Typical cap shape. The only look alike with morels or solid in the center and don’t have that shape. Simply cut it through the center and it should be hollow. 

Well, you did say "killer mushroom."  :D

A couple of years we found a bunch. The last couple of years, hardly any. A late hard freeze and then warm and dry killed the season. We're finding some now. Looks like it'll be a good season. 

5aeb4e6644d44_GirlsWithMushroomsApril2018.jpg.4fb8e953af8c3116f57babedb6f7cf36.jpg

Probably 10 years ago. Hit a big patch and let the granddaughters pick  them.

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Well, you did say "killer mushroom."  :D

Im slow .lol

1 minute ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Death caps don’t look anything like morels. Aminata variants are the typical mushroom shape most people think of.  Add the stupidity of some is the aminita MSU aria. Or purple dot cap and you get into the hallucinogenic world. Die or trip. Typical cap shape. The only look alike with morels or solid in the center and don’t have that shape. Simply cut it through the center and it should be hollow. 

On a serious note, a while back we had deaths of several immigrants from somewhere in Asia harvest poisonous mushrooms.  Seems whatever variety it was looked almost exactly like some that are not poisonous in their home country.

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

On a serious note, a while back we had deaths of several immigrants from somewhere in Asia harvest poisonous mushrooms.  Seems whatever variety it was looked almost exactly like some that are not poisonous in their home country.

ThAts sad!  Identifying mushrooms is a tricky business at best. I only go for a few that I know from years of hunting them. There are so many look alike. Going out with a trained mushroom hunter is key when looking for new species. There are literally dozens of edibles in Kentucky to include truffles. But you really must know you’re stuff. I’m very hesitant on my selection

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:
2 hours ago, .44bang said:

Picking up good mushrooms has always eluded me, it never was a thing for me growing up. But as lover of the outdoors/camping and hunting, it will be nice to know the specifics on what and what not.

You’re in Tennessee. Great shroom hunting down there. I graduated high school in Sevierville. All those moonshiners in the area could teach you a bunch about finding edible Shrooms

Talked to my dad Saturday and his neighbors had just come back with with 5 gallon bucket full. They were planning on having a fried Mushroom and Catfish feast after Sunday church. 

First picture is those prepped for freezing. Second one is what is getting cooked in garlic butter today

F37D8D48-9D17-4004-8F9B-8386FAAF2255.jpeg

35EE1851-3C27-46C7-95E7-3478BEA67782.jpeg

Forgot to take a picture. 

Try ray this if you like morels and venison

Open Face Burger

1/2 grilled butter bun

one seasoned to your liking venison burger (I like to use a little Fiesta Fajita seasoning 2 tsp and a little Sazon Goya Con Culantro Achiote I package. This is for a 1 1/2 of venison )

grill the burger

Place on bun and put 1/8 inch sliced Gruyere cheese. Place in oven on 350 to melt cheese then place on bun. 

Saute enough Morel mushrooms to cover burger. 

I like it this way. You can add tomato and lettuce. My wife likes it with a light covering of garlic Alfredo

Archived