SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmith Needed

Hope I’m posting this in the proper place. I have Stevens 530A 16 gauge double in real nice shape but when the shotgun is fired the lift barrel firing pin does not retract. I’m a big fan of 16 gauges and this is one of my favorite guns I would like to have it repaired in good shooting shape any help would be appreciative. PM me if you like. 

Cabinecasey 4469

Have you tried giving it a really thorough cleaning? I ran into that problem with a BT-99 at the Grand American years ago. turned out some grit and junk had gotten into the works, and kept the pin extended.

Otherwise, there are a number of gunsmiths in the SASS ranks. If you don't mind a couple of hours drive one way, Lassiter is in S.W. Ohio, although I don't have his information handy.

Gave it a good cleaning and it still does the same thing my other Stevens never had the issue I’m not too familiar with the internals of those being a hammerless gun I would just like to get it fixed I wanted it fixed by turkey season which starts in a few weeks here in Kentucky because it does shoot really well and I like older double barrels

48 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

Sir 

I figure the FP channel is full of gunk , and /or the FP return spring is rusted or collapsed 

CB 

Bill I thought the same thing cleaned it out real good still the same issue.Bill I thought the same thing cleaned it out real good still the same issue.

49 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Have you tried giving it a really thorough cleaning? I ran into that problem with a BT-99 at the Grand American years ago. turned out some grit and junk had gotten into the works, and kept the pin extended.

Otherwise, there are a number of gunsmiths in the SASS ranks. If you don't mind a couple of hours drive one way, Lassiter is in S.W. Ohio, although I don't have his information handy.

Doc, I did give it a good cleaning, it was dirty inside. I live in Kentucky so driving to Ohio probably wouldn’t be that bad I live a couple of hours away from Cincinnati

FYI

This is by far the beat way to put the hammers back into a Stevens shotgun.  The instructions are for the 311 but the 530 internals are nearly identical.

This video shows how the firing pins are retained in the gun.

Rather than hold everything in my hands I clamp the receiver in a padded vice clamping on the water table with the tang vertical.. This way I can use both hands to manipulate parts and pins. I also use a slave pin with a beveled leading edge that doesn't have near as much taper as the tool he is using. This keeps everything in alignment. I made mine from the original pin by reducing the diameter with emery paper and a drill. Then filed a truncated cone shape to each end of the pin.

29 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

FYI

This is by far the beat way to put the hammers back into a Stevens shotgun.  The instructions are for the 311 but the 530 internals are nearly identical.

This video shows how the firing pins are retained in the gun.

Rather than hold everything in my hands I clamp the receiver in a padded vice clamping on the water table with the tang vertical.. This way I can use both hands to manipulate parts and pins. I also use a slave pin with a beveled leading edge that doesn't have near as much taper as the tool he is using. This keeps everything in alignment. I made mine from the original pin by reducing the diameter with emery paper and a drill. Then filed a truncated cone shape to each end of the pin.

Thank you Dave, I’ll try this first

Col Lou took my Stevens/Savage Fox and tried to repair...and let's just say it will be a beauty of a wall hanger.

Mine had a tiny crack in the cast at the base of the breakover.

The cost of having that recast would cost above the value of the gun. Sigh.

So, check for cracks...hope this is not your issue.

Give Col Lou Guns a holler, maybe send photos.

(I will say, I did have one lerson try to fix it...and it ran for about 6 shells before it went right back to the issue. So really have EVERY inch looked over)

In the words of Garrison Joe...good luck.

Hey Pard!

Remove both firing pins and springs, keep them separated left and right. Thoroughly clean both firingpin channels blow out the fp channels with an air compressor if you have access to one then reassemble, but put the left firing pin spring in the right side. Now see if the problem moves over to the right. If it does it's a weak or damaged spring. After all it's probably from the 1940's

Be sure to wear eye and face protection when reinstalling the hammers. The stock springs on a 311 are 90 pounds. I suspect the other models have similar spring weights.  Things really go flying if you loose your grip.  I sit on the floor with a small vise on the floor between my legs. Draped a sheet over me and everything else.  Saved chasing parts around the room.

If you take springy things and other small parts out of firearms or other devices, a rolling magnet like those they use to pick up nails on construction sites can be a wonderful thing.  They're cheap, too, and take up little space.

8 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

thinking on it a bit more , , you could have a slight bend in the FP tip 

where it was forced over the primer 

CB 

Bill, I do have that issue, it’s highly visible.

Sir 

I would take hammer to the FP , and slowly move it back into place , most times you can move it , but I have had many break 

make sure the FP fits the hole in the breech face and there are no burrs there , I would make a "scraper " out of spring wire 

to check the FP channel , , back to the old 5100 , the FP return spring had collapsed and rusted in place cuasing a bind 

the FP tip should be a 1/2 hemisphere , 

Chickasaw 

On 3/27/2022 at 1:49 PM, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

thinking on it a bit more , , you could have a slight bend in the FP tip 

where it was forced over the primer 

CB 

Bill, I do have that issue, it’s highly visible.

Thanks everyone for your help and input, hopefully I can get this thing going again 

Carbinecasey

Archived