SASS Wire Forum

Jurassic Park series tangent and spoiler

sassnetguy50

Dinosaur movies have always peaked my interest, from the claymation b&w B movies to the wonderfully colored One Million Years B.C. and When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth era, to modern CGI like the Jurassic Park series and Cowboys vs Dinosaurs.   

It has been said that Some of us grew up when dinosaurs roamed the earth.  I don’t remember them ever eating the farm goats or any other livestock, do you?  The Jurassic Park series is the only time I’ve seen dinosaurs eating goats.

In the original Jurassic Park the T-rex is fed a goat, then again in later movies of the series.  Why did they choose a small creature as a meal for the King of the Dinosaurs?  

The “velociraptors” were fed a cow in the original movie.  This tracks as a food source in an American movie where we often eat beef as a primary meat source.  What does not track is how they devoured it so quickly given their assumed stomach size.

According to the internet :

I found no explanation of the goat verse cow question.  There is a “confession” from the author who says he knew he was describing a Deinonychus while calling it a Velociraptor.  Velociraptor sounded more intimidating and was closely related.  Why not describe a Velociraptor?  Because they had feathers like a bird.  Another page says the confession was embellished or misquoted because the book follow the science of what we “knew” about dinosaurs in the mid 80s.  
     The newest study I found was published by scientists at the University of Wisconsin in 2020.  It claims Velociraptors hunted much smaller prey on their own, not larger prey in packs.  Previous studies misinterpreted findings of group scavenging as evidence of pack hunting.

Archived