SASS Wire Forum

Rifle reload in shotshell loop?

Abilene, SASS # 27489

A couple years ago during a thread on legal/illegal ways to carry a reload on your body, I posted a picture of a rifle round tucked into the gunbelt keeper.  Official word: Not Legal.  

Okay, so now another.  Today I was using a belt with no loops that belonged to the late Wildcat Bob.   I needed a way to carry a 32-20 rifle reload, so I did like the picture shows.  An empty 20ga takes up the extra space, similar to the way a rawhide strip wrapped through .45 loops lets you carry .38's.  Legal?   I know I could sew one of the loops partially closed so a cartridge would fit, but this worked.

Rifle Reload.jpg

It was a quick idea and worked.   I'm thinking a better idea would be a thick strip of leather folded and tucked into the loop to take up the extra space.  I can't' imagine that not being legal.

The only thing that I can find close is from the SHB pg 3.

Under Cartridge Belts, Bandoleers, and Pouches:

- Cartridge loops must not have a metal or plastic liner. However, the entire loop may be made of metal.

Under Ammunition Belts and Loops:

Shotgun Ammo loops must conform to the shooters contour (i.e., not tilt out from the belt).

Instead of leather folded and tucked behind the cartridge pushing it away from the body, use a piece of leather to encircle the cartridge and keep it vertical.

7 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Page 3 of the shooters handbook. Rifle/revolver loops cannot be affixed to shotgun loops.

My understanding of this line is that a separate rifle/revolver loop cannot be placed on/over a shotgun loop.  Not that a rifle/revolver round can't be placed in a shotgun loop.

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Page 3 of the shooters handbook. Rifle/revolver loops cannot be affixed to shotgun loops.

That is not "affixed to" the shotgun loop.

OP:

Lining a shotgun loop with material to convert it into a rifle/pistol ammo loop is not on the list of approved methods for carrying ammunition for stage reloads = ILLEGAL.
R/P ammo inserts in SG loops were ruled as
ILLEGAL in 2019.

Sewing the SG loop to make it smaller in order to accommodate an R/P round (as you mentioned) would be LEGAL

Actually it would have been a SDQ.  And when I asked the TO if I could do it, he said I could just stage it on the table, which I did.  (It was an 1866 sweep, requiring a reload).  I never actually reloaded from that "loop".  Clean match, too. :)

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Rifle Reload.jpg

Instead of stuffing the round in there with an empty shotshell, would stuffing 2 or 3 rifle rounds in the loop be okay?   It would not work with this belt as the loops are not closed.   Along the same lines, if the bottom of the loops were closed, would dropping a few nickels into the loop to prevent the rounds from falling too far down into it be okay?

It was just an idea that occurred to me as I saw saw the picture. 

5 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Instead of stuffing the round in there with an empty shotshell, would stuffing 2 or 3 rifle rounds in the loop be okay? 

SHB pg 3

Shotgun ammo loops may not accommodate more than two rounds per loop, and rifle/revolver ammo loops shall accommodate only one round per loop. 

9 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Instead of stuffing the round in there with an empty shotshell, would stuffing 2 or 3 rifle rounds in the loop be okay?   It would not work with this belt as the loops are not closed.   Along the same lines, if the bottom of the loops were closed, would dropping a few nickels into the loop to prevent the rounds from falling too far down into it be okay?

It was just an idea that occurred to me as I saw saw the picture. 

NO.

Shotgun ammo loops may not accommodate more than two rounds per loop, and rifle/revolver ammo loops shall accommodate only one round per loop.

Note: Any ammo carried to the stage in an illegal/unapproved manner that is actually used for stage reloads falls under the “Use of illegally acquired ammunition” penalties.

SHB p.3

The approved methods for carrying ammo for stage reloads are on that same page.

The OP's question has been answered.

Archived