SASS Wire Forum

M1a scout and night vision

Trigger Mike

Having never seen a scout scope thermal or night vision, I figure a green flashlight on the scope would be in order.

If I mount a green flashlight to the top of a long eye relief scout scope,  can I assume the effect would be the same as it is on a normal scope?  Some decent visibility out to 200 yards or so, with a 2-7 power Burris or vector or Leopold?

We have predators here at night.

i do not think so , but try it , there was a lot of money spent developing night vission optics , they would not have done so if all they needed was a green flash light - the green light has nothing to do with the visible color of the light illuminating the objective , 

For night hunting around here, we use IR or thermal. IR is more cost friendly. Believe they have improved to where they can stand recoil of a 308. I use 5.56 with my IR. My son uses 6.5 Creedmore with thermal. If we hit them, they expire with either round. Have made hit exceeding 200 yds. From coyotes to hogs mainly.  I know a couple guys that use the green flashlights, believe about 100 yds is average for them. They use illuminated crosshairs. 
From your posts, I believe you’re looking at an M1a. I really like mine. Have had it over 30 yrs. Fine shooting gun.  Have a couple AR platforms, but nothing beats wood and steel for a nice gun 

I haven't bought the scout gun yet, wanted to see if it can do everything I would use it for.  I used to buy guns on whims and now evaluate them first.  I now find I carry the ones that have a practical purpose but are also fun.  

I have goats and chickens to protect at night.  

IMO you may be are at cross purposes - the M1A has a pretty good muzzle flash the scout has got to be worse with the shorter barrel.  Don't know how good a match that will be with night vision.  I think there are after market flash suppressors that might help. 

put a    green flash lite on a 22 Hornet with 2x7 scope, the lite has adjustable size area of illumination.   with scope set at 5 power and light adjusted to just fill the scope field of view, I've killed yodledogs out to 100 yds, and all manner of coon and possum in chicken pens.   eyes reflect green lite better than red.  gives a much better aiming point.   

Archived