SASS Wire Forum

Using foam backer rod as a filler question

Eyesa Horg

I've been thinking of using backer rod as a filler in my reduced load 45/70 for plainsman. I've been using grits with no known issue thus far. I've seen a few posts regarding the use of backer rod which seems like a good idea.

However, I found this on an old post over at CAS City and it made me wonder if it's a good idea. Would like any input or tips you folks may have.

Here's the Cas City post:

Re: wads or no wads?
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 12:15:16 PM »

Then I will say that you are wasting your time with wads at the distances you are shooting. The only time I would say to use a wad is if you are making up reduced loads. I was looking at a article by Capt Baylor on how to load reduced loads. He was taking foam backer rod and putting it into the case to fill it in place of powder.I at one time worked as a water proofer with the Bricklayers Union. We used the backer rod for filling in the cracks before caulking them. That is what it is made to do. I remember that some of the chemicals that I used, such as Xylol would dissolve the foam. I wondered if real BP would do the same with it's nitrites. I loaded 5 rounds of 44-40 with 22 grs of 2F and filled the case with 1/2 in foam backer rod. In 5 days I dismantled one case and found almost all of the backer rod gone. This left a large unfilled area in the case which would not be good to fire. I unloaded the rest of the cases yesterday and they are the same. I need to go back and read his article and see if he was using a sub (which he is famous for shooting)or BP. No wads unless shooting long range like Creedmoor.

Thanks,
EH

30 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I need to go back and read his article and see if he was using a sub (which he is famous for shooting)or BP. No wads unless shooting long range like Creedmoor.

Thanks,
EH

At the time the article was written, I believe he was using Triple 7.  Now he uses APP.

I use to use a small square of Kapok just to hold the powder in place. I've also used just about every other thing that someone had recommended. I think the Kapok worked just a well and was a lot easier to use. JMHO

Snakebite

I was thinking of using backer rod, but used paper in 45-70,38-55 instead, afraid backer rod would leave resdiue in barrel due heat.

3 hours ago, El diablo gringo said:

Good evening all,

been using caulk backer rod with APP for years and no issues.  

gringo

The same goes for me as well. I even earned a nice shiny buckle in FC category a couple years ago while using backer rod. Another fella I know uses packing peanuts as filler, no issues for him either.

3 hours ago, pachaug kid said:

I was thinking of using backer rod, but used paper in 45-70,38-55 instead, afraid backer rod would leave resdiue in barrel due heat.

I’ve had no “ residue” noted in 45 Colt and 45-70 using backer rod as a filler over the last 5+ years…. YMMV;)

Thanks guys for all the replies. Has anyone had experience with real BP? Or should I just KISS and keep using grits or charcoal?

Grits are cheap.  And the best use I have found for them so far!  ;)

For my 50/70 Plainsman load I use Pinnacle because I have plenty of non-BP lubed bullets and I do have some Pinnacle left.  I load on the turret press so it's just a scoop of powder and a scoop of Farina (use cream of wheat or grits or whatever Ellie didn't cook for breakfast).  A different size scoop in each dipping can so it comes to the right total amount.

Thanks Doc., I've still got grits as I don't eat em either!! May as well just keep doin what I'm doin I thinks. It's worked so far, especially for amount shot in a season. For me at least.

Happy Holidays

Archived