SASS Wire Forum

Pastor Tackles Gunman

Subdeacon Joe

Them there Pentacostal Churches have all the Fun ,,,,, What with Slaying Folks in the Spirit ,,,, to importing Gunmen to do the Job.:unsure:

Jabez Cowboy

21 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Them there Pentacostal Churches have all the Fun ,,,,, What with Slaying Folks in the Spirit ,,,, to importing Gunmen to do the Job.:unsure:

Jabez Cowboy

As a former pew-jumping Pentecostal myself, I am not sure what line of humor you were going for, or maybe it just did not translate well.  Either way, this reformed pew-jumping Pentecostal finds it funny in an intensely dark way. Emphasis is on “intensely”.

But great respect to the pastor for doing what needed to be done at a very scary moment.

That's why we have armed folks in our Service now.

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

What does that mean, please?

Some churches in the Pentecostal movement believe that when the Holy Spirit is with somebody, It can lead that person to engage in frenetic activities such as running through the aisles in joy, speaking in strange tongues, speaking words of prophecy to other members of the church, singing spontaneous songs, raising hands towards the sky, falling unconscious in a trance (called being “slain in the Spirit”), and yes, jumping from pew to pew.

Personally, I have and continue to experience some of these along my journey, and I’ll never put myself in a position of standing between a person and their unique relationship with G-d.

But I can also say that within the church I was a part of, there were a lot of theatrical manipulations to the point where it was cultish.  For my own sanity, I had to leave.  Since then it’s been a journey of retaining the good from that time of my life (community and a relationship with the Holy Spirit) and rejecting the bad (theatrical manipulation).

One of the ironies is that the longer I’ve been hanging out with G-d and the Holy Spirit through what I believe is the gift of a man named Jesus, I’ve come to the inescapable conclusion that the Creator is too big to confine Themself to one man/time/place.  The other important learning?  It’s not my business to know the boundaries.

I am free to take the love I’ve received from so many places and give it back to this flawed but beautiful world we live in.

SDJ, I know this is a longer answer than you were seeking, but wanted to put context in the note.

Archived