SASS Wire Forum

Need IT advice please; iPhone can't get email after update

J-BAR #18287

My old iPhone is a 7 (I think they are up to 12 or 13 these days).  I updated it a few days ago to software version 15.0.2, and now I cannot access my gmail account on it.  I get the message, "Gmail needs to be updated to work with this version of IOS".  I have done a web search for how to do that.  The instructions are rather complex.  Most of them involve using the "I Cloud" and I am not on (in?) the Cloud, never activated the account.   It occurred to me that maybe I could just close out my gmail/email app for a few days and then sign up for a new gmail account.  Cutting the electronic Gordian knot, so to speak.  I can still get to my gmail on my computer, so it's inconvenient, not a tragedy.

So, what unforeseen complications might happen if I just exit gmail for a few days and then try to come back in?  Would I be able to use the same old email address?  And I still do not want to be in the Cloud, paying extra to store stuff that should be deleted.

What say you gurus?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Interesting. I haven’t had an issue like that, but I don’t use Gmail at all. 

EDIT 

I just tried mine and it opens just fine. 
Try this, completely delete your gmail app then reinstall it from the App Store. That may fix the problem. 

Got a survey after an update years ago.    In comments I wrote "Why bother to ask"  You do whatever you want anyway       Still waiting for reply  HaHa    GW      

Understand completly   Just upgraded to Iphone 13 cause was having connection problems with hearing aids.   Would still have my flip phone if it would have worked with hearing aids      GW

3 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

My old iPhone is a 7 (I think they are up to 12 or 13 these days).  I updated it a few days ago to software version 15.0.2, and now I cannot access my gmail account on it.  I get the message, "Gmail needs to be updated to work with this version of IOS".  I have done a web search for how to do that.  The instructions are rather complex.  Most of them involve using the "I Cloud" and I am not on (in?) the Cloud, never activated the account.   It occurred to me that maybe I could just close out my gmail/email app for a few days and then sign up for a new gmail account.  Cutting the electronic Gordian knot, so to speak.  I can still get to my gmail on my computer, so it's inconvenient, not a tragedy.

So, what unforeseen complications might happen if I just exit gmail for a few days and then try to come back in?  Would I be able to use the same old email address?  And I still do not want to be in the Cloud, paying extra to store stuff that should be deleted.

What say you gurus?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Maybe this helps?

https://www.payetteforward.com/why-doesnt-gmail-work-on-my-iphone-heres-the-fix/

Archived