SASS Wire Forum

The Aussie Humour Thread

Buckshot Bear

14 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Old family classic Bread and butter pudding yummy

431741237_7424657707557294_7522472420669193588_n.jpg.d1f5a563acfa593ca6c78e7ef3f5ad3c.jpg

Had to look that up. Sounds yummy. Going to have to make a batch.

Thanks

• Like 1

So that's different from American bread pudding? Mama used to make bread pudding all the time. A cheap dessert using stale bread.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Old family classic Bread and butter pudding yummy

431741237_7424657707557294_7522472420669193588_n.jpg.d1f5a563acfa593ca6c78e7ef3f5ad3c.jpg

So. how does your family make it?

I see raisins, so that's a good start.

Probably cinnamon, and bread (does stale bread hold together better?), but what liquid do you use? Any eggs?

OK, I'll let you tell me...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Brazos John said:

So. how does your family make it?

I see raisins, so that's a good start.

Probably cinnamon, and bread (does stale bread hold together better?), but what liquid do you use? Any eggs?

OK, I'll let you tell me...

These are the most common Brazos -

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/bread-butter-pudding-7/9d7ab7b6-95ba-4fc4-ac3d-5500c882480b

https://www.recipetineats.com/bread-and-butter-pudding/

We had this for dessert so often when I was a kid (everyone did) and going to other folks homes there were always slight variances but they all tasted good :)

Our Grandkids always ask my wife to make it for them.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

We still had these uncomfortable seats (with ink wells) in my primary school.

431656785_1365781414128295_1047072205163186256_n.jpg.9899fd17b1953e0e319cbd03f607d571.jpg

Ours were very similar, only with ornate cast iron scrollwork, screwed down to the wooden floor, and ours were singles instead of a side by side.

Inkwell, yep ... but our desktops were nowhere this nice. Ours had initials, names, gouges ...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

These are the most common Brazos -

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/bread-butter-pudding-7/9d7ab7b6-95ba-4fc4-ac3d-5500c882480b

https://www.recipetineats.com/bread-and-butter-pudding/

We had this for dessert so often when I was a kid (everyone did) and going to other folks homes there were always slight variances but they all tasted good :)

Our Grandkids always ask my wife to make it for them.

About the same as Bread Pudding up here. Old fashioned, but delicious!

I'll show these to my wife.

She knows her way around the kitchen!  :wub:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Alpo said:

So that's different from American bread pudding? Mama used to make bread pudding all the time. A cheap dessert using stale bread.

The recipes I checked are a lot different than the Bread Pudding recipes I grew up eating.

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 3

I have no idea what recipe Mama used.

According to the internet, bread pudding is stale bread mixed with milk or cream, and egg, then baked. So - baked French toast.

While bread and butter pudding uses both raisins and spices. The recipes I've seen call for sultanas, which would be called golden raisins here in the states. Dried white grapes, instead of the dried red grapes that make normal raisins. But I remember Mama's having both raisins and cinnamon, so I guess she made a closer to bread and butter pudding.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

All of the homemade Bread Pudding I grew up eating did not have Raisins in it. Cinnamon yes, raisins no. 

Your Mama wasn't raisin you right!  :D     

(Just going for the play on words. I've met you, and I know you're a stand-up guy, despite shooting cap-and-ball pistols in competition!)

Did a sibling or you not like raisins, and so she left them out?

Moms will modify recipes to please their young'uns. 

My Mom always put raisins in mine.  :wub:

up close bread pudding with raisins

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Digger
An Australian soldier.
The term was applied during the First World War to Australian and New Zealand soldiers because so much of their time was spent digging trenches.

An earlier Australian sense of digger was ‘a miner digging for gold ’. Billy Hughes, prime minister during the First World War, was known as the Little Digger. First recorded in this sense 1916.

1918 Aussie: 2015 Daily Telegraph (Sydney) 26 January: Australia's special-forces troops .. dominate the military division of the 2015 Australia Day Honours. They include a major who planned an 'unprecedented operation' to capture a rogue Afghan sergeant who murdered three Australian diggers.

Image: Australian soldiers in trenches at Gallipoli, 1915

431973105_10160080085443553_7360420182744777786_n.jpg.67dd42a6299bd6ff415679c57a43634d.jpg
  • Thanks 3