SASS Wire Forum

What we have here, is a failure to communicate!

im certain my mother would have loved to sentence me to that a few times - god rest her soul these past 12 years but she didnt believe in inhumane punishment , ill leave the thoughts of some of my other discretions to those i offended but there were worse punishments wished upon me by a few , 

im too old to offend many anymore and im learning to be offended by some of the young that seem to get offended for near nothing these days , should be an interesting 'next 20 years' 

9 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I foresee interesting assignments in the recruit's future.

vacuum-parking-lot.jpg

My son got bumped out of his MP school slot at Ft Leonard Wood a few years ago, he spent 2 months doing stupid shit like this. 

I went through 11 weeks of boot camp. I understand that most things they do are for the benefit of the recruit, such as physical training, chain of command, weapons training, field problems, discipline, obeying orders (stupid and otherwise), without too much thought, etc. 

The only thing I could think of, after boot camp was all done, was that the meaningless chewing-outs were designed to toughen one up mentally, and emotionally.

It did not work with me, I knew it wasn't personal, and from the first minutes all the way through the boot camp, I just let it slide right off me. I grew up with yelling, and arguing, and in-your-face situations, both at home, and at school, so perhaps I was already acclimated to it. At the time, I just considered it to be the D.I.'s way of exercising his authority over us, and taking advantage of the situation. In my case, it served no useful purpose.

But, the military seems to think it has a useful purpose, and so they are entrenched in that idea that it is part of their "breaking down" of the recruit, so they can build them back up to what they believe is someone that has been transformed from a civilian to a military minded person.

As my D.I. stated, in the first few minutes of our arrival in San Diego..."I am here to get all the civilian s*^# out of your head!"

Once in combat, I could not see that chewing me out for the quarter not bouncing correctly, on my made up rack (bed), made any difference in me staying alive, and firing my weapon at those that were firing at me. I guess I could always say that those chewing outs made me brave, and have courage. I don't believe it, but I could say it.   

I am sure most will say this is an important part of the process. That's okay. We can agree to disagree.  

My opinion, and 75 cents, may buy you a soft drink in the rural areas. 

Archived