Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Wtb lee factory crimp die 45 colt


Recommended Posts

It may help with your problem. But as I tried to point out the factory crimp die simply puts a taper crimp as opposed to a roll crimp. If you are not having issues with a tight chamber then this really will not help. Put a little tighter roll crimp and you will be good.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Then the die should help. Also make sure the chamber is clean. Don't assume that even a new rifle will be clean. Clean it and know!

 

I'll also be presumptuous here and walk you through the adjustment of the seating/crimping die. I don't know what sort of press you are using. But as soon as I got my 550 I began seating and crimping in two different steps. But if using the one die this is the procedure. First, make sure that all of your brass is more or less the same length. If it is new or came from cowboys it's a pretty good bet that's not the problem. When you adjust the die first back it out several turns from the press. Then began turning just the center bullet seating portion down. Keep doing this and running the brass/bullet in the press until you have a cartridge that fits your OA length requirements. Conveniently this will usually be lined up with the crimp groove in the bullet itself. When you have that adjustment, back the center portion out a good bit and begin taking the die body down to establish a crimp. You just want to start to see a inward roll of the top lip of the brass. Don't go down so much that you begin to buckle the case. When you have established this then lock the die body down in the press. They make replacement rings for dies that have a locking set screw so adjustments won't move should you remove the die from the press. Then with the ram of the press in the fully up position screw the center bullet seating stem back down until it touches the nose of the bullet you just crimped, you'll feel when it touches. Lower the ram and go just a squinch (that's a technical term) further, maybe 1/16th to 1/32 of a turn on the center stem, lock it down. These adjustments should never need to be moved unless you change bullet design/profile or start loading say 45 Cowboy or Schofield. Clean the die occasionally as you will get a build up of bullet lube and lead shavings accumulate in the center portion. Again, I apologize for assuming you are new to loading and you might have been doing it since you were a toddler. One just never knows the knowledge of another person and many feel sheepish about asking for help. "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"

38 Special Crimp Style_zpsr3wpaltx.jpg

Edited by Goody, SASS #26190
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Goody, SASS #26190 that was one of the best explanations of that I have seen, well done Sir!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

You can also use a sizing die without the decapping pin , after you seat the bullet . You’ll never have that problem again , it takes the bulge out of the case from the bullet . Your loaded ammo will fall out of the cylinders & a ammo chamber gauge . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Splitthumb said:

You can also use a sizing die without the decapping pin , after you seat the bullet . You’ll never have that problem again , it takes the bulge out of the case from the bullet . Your loaded ammo will fall out of the cylinders & a ammo chamber gauge . 

It does take the buldge out of the case, but it will elongate the bullet and decrease the diameter of the driving bands substantially. If you shrink the brass, you shrink the bullet with it. I know accuracy doesn't mean a heck of a lot at our 7 yard targets, but sometimes it does. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 7:44 PM, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

It may help with your problem. But as I tried to point out the factory crimp die simply puts a taper crimp as opposed to a roll crimp. If you are not having issues with a tight chamber then this really will not help. Put a little tighter roll crimp and you will be good.

 

Well That is not true, The lee factory crimp dies for32 mag 38 357 and 45 colt are a roll crimp dies ! And in my instructions it says it is a roll crimp die! and it in fact  roll crimps my ammo, Not to say you can't get taper crimp Lee F. crimp dies for those cal.  V.D.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

Well That is not true, The lee factory crimp dies for32 mag 38 357 and 45 colt are a roll crimp dies ! And in my instructions it says it is a roll crimp die! and it in fact  roll crimps my ammo, Not to say you can't get taper crimp Lee F. crimp dies for those cal.  V.D.

Thanks, that's good to know. I wonder why anyone would buy one if all it did was a roll crimp, just like the Lee Dies in the kits?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are 2 types of Lee crimp dies"

 

Standard Lee crimp die seats bullet the either roll or taper crimps the case depending on caliber.

 

"FACTORY" crimp dies do the above but   has a carbide ring at the mouth of the die which sizes all rounds that are larger in diameter than said ring. Esp helpful with guns with tight chambers. Think of it as a second resize to remove any bulges from bullet seating.

Edited by Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Thanks, that's good to know. I wonder why anyone would buy one if all it did was a roll crimp, just like the Lee Dies in the kits?

I use Lee Factory crimp dies because they say you should use a heavy crimp on coated bullets because they are slick! And with a Lee factory crimp die it will not buckle the case with a heavy crimp. plus like Dutch said the carbide ring will size every round that is not with in the chamber specs, if you loaded a lead bullet bullet that missed getting sized at the factory it could cause a feed problem ( that happened to meat 1997 EOT) that carbide ring would take care of that!  V.D.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

I use Lee Factory crimp dies because they say you should use a heavy crimp on coated bullets because they are slick! And with a Lee factory crimp die it will not buckle the case with a heavy crimp. plus like Dutch said the carbide ring will size every round that is not with in the chamber specs, if you loaded a lead bullet bullet that missed getting sized at the factory it could cause a feed problem ( that happened to meat 1997 EOT) that carbide ring would take care of that!  V.D.

Gotcha!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2021 at 11:26 AM, Lucky Bastard said:

Need one

Hey L.B. I put a call in to a friend of mine that for health reason can't shoot any more so he doesn't reload, he had one he thinks he still has it? he said he would look for it ! If he finds it I will let you know. Take care V.D.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the deluxe 4 die set but there's no part numbers on the individual dies...only a code

ie: E7, K7, C7 or J7. J7 being the factory crimp die.
The individual part numbers are in the manual but the number you reference isn't there

 

1043408249_Lee45deluxedies.thumb.jpg.bf3385f98fdc9568ca5a9a1c1e4e2b0d.jpg

193703386_lee45diesetmanual.thumb.jpg.304cced62ab017c5896aa7984a97b8e0.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.