SASS Wire Forum

How would this work?

Alpo

He was discharged from the Corps in California. He buys a car. He's going to live in Texas. He immediately starts East.

License plates?

California temporary paper plate? I hadn't thought about this until he's talking about getting a parking permit for his car at the college he's going to. He says, "I don't have plates yet", and I first thought that meant he didn't have Texas plates, but since he only owned the car in California for about a half an hour before he was gone, would he have any kind of plate? Of course driving across five states with no license plates would probably not be a good thing. B)

Drive on a bill of sale. Or roll dirty. I rolled on expired paper plates for over 2 years once upon a time

Yes, I agree........temp plates from California, where he bought the car, then obtain plates from the state he’s going to be living in once he gets there, or a couple of months later or so.  Might have to explain it to a bored state leo at sometime in-between, maybe.

Cat Brules

If the person is not careful they'll end up paying sales taxes twice.  Had Missouri try to do that to me on a trailer I bought in Nevada. Bought it just before being transferred. Dealer charged me Nevada sales tax. When I went to register it in my home state the County clerk tried to charge me sales tax on the purchase price. Claimed that I had not owned it long enough.

I went through the roof and after a long and heated discussion I went before the county judge and he ruled that I couldn't be taxed twice on the same purchase.

Temporary tags are usually good for 30 days but I don't know about California!

California has only had temp tags for the few years. One used to get a registration paper that was taped to inside passenger side of the front windshield if a car was bought from a dealer. If a car was bought from an individual a red sticker was given to the buyer by the DMV to put in the rear window. 

Archived