Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

A Vendor’s Reply Why There is an Ammo Shortage


Recommended Posts

I like the comments about conspiracies and why don't they add more production.

Vendor picks up phone, 'can you send me 5 of 12XX239 reloading machines'? Whats that not i  stock and it will be 6 months? OH that gives me time to add 3,000 sf to my business to house them!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Manufacturers learned their lesson after the 2008 spike. They added capacity, some companies even purchased Eastern European plants. Only to see the great ammo glut of 2010. 

Then, the Sandy Hook spike wiped out that supply, but in due time, the ammunition and components returned to the shelves. (Due time would be 3-6 months, depending on specifics, with some ammunition, like shot shells, staying relatively available). 

This pandemic/riot/election/post election spike has been particularly enduring; and that has created a supply problem of its own. Virtually everyone will buy ammo when they see it available, regardless of their stock levels. Even those of us in the business have begun to grab from the pipeline. That is a sure sign that all indications are for an extended draught. Manufacturers are back ordered for months, suppliers are taking all that can be shipped. Pricing has lost all stability. This has all occurred, and we haven't even started to discuss component and raw material supply concerns. Remember that we have no lead smelter in the US. and must depend on foreign countries for our refined lead. 

 

I appreciate that the clubs have looked for ways to reduce round count and do hope that we will see a reversal of ammo supplies by the end of the year, but at this rate, I would not count on it.. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There's also a nice article in the latest American Rifleman concerning the shortage.

 

BS

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we have gone through this cycle many times before....buy your ammo when no one wants it and store it for the leaner times. That won't help anyone now but I know a number of shooters who are reasonably stocked and bought at prices 1/5 to 1/10 of what they are now. I have seen 9MM at $1 per round and not that far back it was less expensive than .22s.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Stump, a good Company forecasts Demand.

Easy too. Just read the FBI website for the volume increase of NICS checks registered in the database 

I watched the FBI website, saw the much higher registrations and stocked up on primers and 22’s at the prices before this shortage. Vista Outdoors that owns nearly every company in this recreational market could have done the same forecasting.  Dollars to donuts they are watching it now, but too late to supply the products

But their stockholders are licking their chops ... 30 cents a round vs 3 cents a primer with a billion dollar backlog

re: Remington ... they bought in October and it’s now March.  Keep looking at their hiring website , nada for factory help but they keep saying we are going to rehire 200 employees.  Talked with a fella familiar with Remington and only a few of the 200 have been hired back so far

And Federal’s their mouth piece about the primer shortage.  Heard any production from Remington or increased production from CCI ? 
 

Plus Obama restricted importation of firearms and supplies.  Trump screwed up and didn’t veto it and Biden and Harris would never veto it because they are determined they are going to strip the 2nd Amendment as deep as they can 

Edited by John Boy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As soon as I heard Joe was run'n for POTUS.

I made a huge order with PVI that included 25K primers and many bottles of powder and bullets.

Ordered 10K bullets from Bear Creek Supply. 

Also ordered 200lbs of casting lead.

Glad I did:excl:

OLG 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Stump, a good Company forecasts Demand.

Easy too. Just read the FBI website for the volume increase of NICS checks registered in the database 

I watched the FBI website, saw the much higher registrations and stocked up on primers and 22’s at the prices before this shortage. Vista Outdoors that owns nearly every company in this recreational market could have done the same forecasting.  Dollars to donuts they are watching it now, but too late to supply the products

But their stockholders are licking their chops ... 30 cents a round vs 3 cents a primer with a billion dollar backlog

re: Remington ... they bought in October and it’s now March.  Keep looking at their hiring website , nada for factory help but they keep saying we are going to rehire 200 employees.  Talked with a fella familiar with Remington and only a few of the 200 have been hired back so far

And Federal’s their mouth piece about the primer shortage.  Heard any production from Remington or increased production from CCI ? 
 

Plus Obama restricted importation of firearms and supplies.  Trump screwed up and didn’t veto it and Biden and Harris would never veto it because they are determined they are going to strip the 2nd Amendment as deep as they can 

 

I'm sure you could have turned it around on a dime JB.  Why aren't you on the BoD of Vista?

 

"A fella familiar with Remington".  

 

Got it JB. 

 

As usual.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stump, even a 2nd year accounting major would have seen that Just In Time inventory control was wrong with escalating new Firearms purchasers and an adverse political environment ... was not going increase supply. Could full supply be achieved  - No, but more supply could have been achieved

Vista Outdoors placated their stockholders with saying we are a good stock with a billion dollar backlog and if the financial sheets were lifted up, they would be covered with ‘skid marks’

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2021 at 11:03 AM, Big Hext Finnigan, SASS #37671 said:

Remember that we have no lead smelter in the US. and must depend on foreign countries for our refined lead. 

There a company here in Reno doing large volume battery lead recycling. And there's at least one company in Ohio smelting lead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

There a company here in Reno doing large volume battery lead recycling. And there's at least one company in Ohio smelting lead.

“Although we will continue to mine and mill lead, zinc, and copper from our underground mines, the ability to produce primary lead metal and their alloys domestically will vanish,” Hughes stated.

 

2013 press release from Doe Run. I would be interested to know the name of the Ohio smeltery. 

The Doe Run Company Provides Update on Closure of Last Primary Lead Smelter in US - The Doe Run Company

Link to post
Share on other sites

As of 2019 ...

“This smelter’s impending closure leaves just two primary lead producers within North America — Teck’s Trail in western Canada and Peñoles’ Torreón in northern Mexico.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.