SASS Wire Forum

Verizon cell service.

Ace_of_Hearts

I received this notice this morning.

I am assuming that ATT and T-Mobile are having similar problems.

The situation in your area of coverage may vary.

Verizon is indefinitely delaying the shutdown of its 3G network, pushing back the original plan for the network to shutter at the end of 2020 to an as-yet-undetermined point in the future.
            The news comes from Verizon spokesperson Kevin King, who 
tells Light Reading, “Our 3G network is operational and we don’t have a plan to shut it down at this time. We’ll work with customers to move them to newer technology.”
             According to Light Reading, Verizon previously announced that it planned to shutter the 3G network at the end of 2020, which was already a delay. (The company originally intended to close the network at the end of 2019.) Now, it seems that Verizon is once again punting that decision down the road.
            The interesting part of this decision is that Verizon is making it solely for customers who are still using their existing 3G devices. The company 
no longer allows customers to activate new 3G phones on its network (as of 2018), nor does it offer prepaid 3G service (as of 2019). Obviously, Verizon would prefer that its customers upgrade to new 4G LTE — or, at this point, 5G — plans (presumably with new phones that they’ll buy through the carrier). But the repeated delays in shutting down the 3G network seem to suggest that the transition isn’t going as fast as the company would like.”

This is an example of forced planned obsolescence!!  They quit providing service for a certain product to force the public to buy newer products!!  It ought to be illegal!!  If a company wants you to abandon a publicly offered service that the buyer pays a monthly fee for, they should furnish new equipment for those users that still use, and likely would be stressed financially replace equipment!!  

Companies would probably be dollars ahead because they wouldn't have to pay for maintenance and continued operation of the old system, but I'm sure that these outfits want and expect to make money both ways!!

Customer driven obsolescence is more like it. The customers are demanding faster, better service, and more coverage. 3G doesn't do that. As they move up on technology why maintain an Edsel? It's no longer a phone, it's everything.

Music industry, 78's, 331/3 or 45's in vinyl, 4 track, 8 track, cassettes, Cd's, thumb drives or cloud. Each time you had to replace your music library and the tech. to play it. Driven by, better quality, cheaper to produce, better access and storage.

16 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Customer driven obsolescence is more like it. The customers are demanding faster, better service, and more coverage. 3G doesn't do that. As they move up on technology why maintain an Edsel? It's no longer a phone, it's everything.

Music industry, 78's, 331/3 or 45's in vinyl, 4 track, 8 track, cassettes, Cd's, thumb drives or cloud. Each time you had to replace your music library and the tech. to play it. Driven by, better quality, cheaper to produce, better access and storage.

Much of the “advancement” in music, ISN’T!  That is why you see the resurgence in the vinyl record industry and the return to turntables!!  The sound from an MP3 can’t hold a candle to that of a good tape system.  Tape and vinyl allow for the full spectrum of sound without compression and deliver a warmth that digital reproduction can’t equal!

Just one example of newer NOT being better, OR EVEN AS GOOD!!

Won’t deny that some things are better as we learn to use them, but the first thing that went back to working, after the bombing here in Nashville, was my land line!! :wacko:

17 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I'd sure like to see "just a phone".  I don't see any reason the companies can't continue  to support this old technology to accommodate people who have been their customers longer than many / most of their employees have been alive.  Hell, they wouldn't even be in business if we hadn't jumped on their bandwagon back at the beginning....and they may be customer driven, but we are customers, too, and I for one, don't want them to drive me and I don't like nor have much use for most of the crap that they are selling to the exclusion of our wants and needs.  

I still have a land line and almost never use my cell unless I am travelling (and I'll keep on spelling travelling with 2 Ls).

30 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

When you a finished with your Edsel, give me a call and come to you to pick it.  I won't even charge you to haul your junk away.

One of my cowboy pards has an Edsel cop car, parked in front of his store! 

Still runs and drives and will for the forseeable future!!

There's a gap in Verizon's service around here. You have to go into the highest point in the park here to get bars. See contractors going up into the east end new part to try to get service. My Sprint/T-Mobile phone works anywhere in here, AT&T does as well as Cricket does. I believe my newest flip is 4lte so I may be safe for a while.Not as good as the Gen 3 it replaced, but it works:blush:

Marketing = understanding your customers and advancing your business plan to capture as much of that market as possible.

3G flip phones might represent 0.001% of the market. So don't bother.

The culture of the smart phone is "I need the latest, greatest, fastest thing they have"  It isn't about phones anymore. The IPhone 10/11/12 commercials focused on speed and the cameras. Nothing about phone calls, texting, or E mails. 

Edsel's are great if you want  a car that you can't find parts or service for, isn't fuel efficient, gets terrible milage, and drives like a tank. A.so there are many crash tests proving the old cars were deaths traps. The modern car is like the modern phone.

8 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Just one example of newer NOT being better, OR EVEN AS GOOD!!

Cd's were superior to vinyl with all the scratches and technology issues.

AT some point the "old" human ear is lucky to hear anything let alone the minuscule difference between tape, Vinyl, CD's.

5 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Cd's were superior to vinyl with all the scratches and technology issues.

AT some point the "old" human ear is lucky to hear anything let alone the minuscule difference between tape, Vinyl, CD's.

Glad you think so!!  Even MY damaged ears can hear the difference between a clean vinyl record and that compressed crap you get on CDs and MP3s, etc...

3 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Glad you think so!!  Even MY damaged ears can hear the difference between a clean vinyl record and that compressed crap you get on CDs and MP3s, etc...

Might be so. But thats what the market wants. You can store  1000 mp3 songs on a cell phone and then play it anywhere, Vinyl's while better are just seen as a hassle. And most music companies won't even make the, anymore.

Archived