SASS Wire Forum

Pietta 1860 Army shoulder stock screws?

Warden Callaway

Hey Warden:

I tried replacing them a few years back, but didn't like the look.

So, I put the screws back in.

--Dawg

Yes.  Used the OEM screws, cut deeper slots and filed the head off.  Hard to keep the "plug" from intruding into the action.  Settled on filing the slot deeper then filing the screw head VERY flat.  About 1/64 of screw head left, then put the screws back in with RED LocTite

I just took mine off from the trigger finger side.  It doesn't seem to matter.  The hole is covered by the holster.  I am not in a dusty climate, that would be a different situation.

As for taking it off, when I have switched hands so the right gun is in my left hand and thus the screw is under my trigger finger I do not notice it, so the whole idea is really irrelevant to my shooting.  I normally shoot double duelist so there is a left gun - left hand pattern.  But for the past year I was recovering from rotator cuff surgery and so was shooting all left handed (weak side) but I didn't change the screw arrangement and never noticed which was which.  Just proving to myself again that this doesn't matter to me.  Your mileage may differ.   If I find the screws during my winter gun cleaning I may just put them back on!

Archived