SASS Wire Forum

Modern Major General

Subdeacon Joe

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I did not believe Messers Gilbert and Sullivan wrote that one verse. :D

Couldn't quite catch which one you mean. My Dad was a huge fan of Gilbert & Sullivan. In fact he played several lead parts, including the Lord High Executioner, and maybe the Major General. :D

45 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Couldn't quite catch which one you mean

I believe it was the last verse, where he said that he was "in demand whenever Trivial Pursuit is played". (4:05)

Also John Turner (3:40) became prime minister of Canada in 1984, and was only prime minister for 79 days.

Both of those verses are a little bit too new for a song written in 1879.

13 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I believe it was the last verse, where he said that he was "in demand whenever Trivial Pursuit is played". (4:05)

Also John Turner (3:40) became prime minister of Canada in 1984, and was only prime minister for 79 days.

Both of those verses are a little bit too new for a song written in 1879.

This was a performance at the Stratford Festival in 1985, shortly after Turner and while Trivial Pursuit was popular. 

"....I believe it was the last verse, where he said that he was "in demand whenever Trivial Pursuit is played". (4:05)...."

i could be wrong here but ive found that 'common usage' of words have changed over the years , while some of us might remember the usage we grew up with often the youthful find it inconsistent with modern thinking/use of the same words - also intercontinental use differs a bit , i find the loss of original intent a bit unsettling and hope i never offend if i use the words i know and apply them as i was raised 

Archived