SASS Wire Forum

More parents behaving badly

The camera angle was perfect to see ball / strike; the pitching team's coach was in the dugout where he belonged.  For those of you who have never played baseball, you can easily see the elevation of a pitch from the dugout, but you cannot tell if it's over the plate or two zip codes over.  From this camera angle, the ball was WAAAAAY outside, into the opposite batter's box.  The umpire called it a ball -- CORRECTLY -- and the pitching team's coach immediately started chirping at him.

FYI, when an umpire says, "What was that?" or something similar, he's letting you know you are about to get the ban hammer.  Arguing balls and strikes is an automatic ejection in baseball.  You *CAN* appeal on rules, ask for explanations, etc., but arguing balls and strikes is verboten.  In this case, the umpire told him to cool it, and he kept going.  So the umpire followed up with the obligatory I'm-about-to-toss-you question, and the coach kept right on going.  So the umpire did his job and tossed him.  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Rather than leaving as required by the rules, the coach went on to the playing field and escalated the altercation with the umpire.  He took it to personal insults; this is no longer a disagreement about balls and strikes.  The umpire -- CORRECTLY according to the rules -- told the coach he had 30 seconds to leave the facility or the game would be ruled a forfeit.  

Rather than leaving AS REQUIRED BY THE RULES so his kids could play baseball, he kicked dirt at the umpire.  So he escalated it to physical acts against the umpire.  According to the rules, the umpire should then rule the game a forfeit, which he did. 

This isn't one poor decision by the coach.  This is a STRING of poor decisions and poor sportsmanship that had multiple effects on other people:

1- Kids learn by watching adults.  They are going to grow up and act this way, and then claim "that's how the game is played."

2- The kids had their game cut short; they don't get to play baseball any more today.

3-  The kids lose.

Ump made the right call. That Coach did not...and his kids got penalized for it.

When my daughter played little league so many parents acted like fools. I never understood that. It sets  a bad example for the kids and adds undue stress. 

He got what he deserved. The kids, unfortunately, did not, but that was the coach's fault, not the ump's.

I will say I am glad my daughters only did cross country (and band, as far as "competition" goes). When it came to CC, parents, coaches and spectators were urging all the kids on, and those in the back half of the field got as much, if not more, encouragement than those at the front. 

5 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

The camera angle was perfect to see ball / strike; the pitching team's coach was in the dugout where he belonged.  For those of you who have never played baseball, you can easily see the elevation of a pitch from the dugout, but you cannot tell if it's over the plate or two zip codes over.  From this camera angle, the ball was WAAAAAY outside, into the opposite batter's box.  The umpire called it a ball -- CORRECTLY -- and the pitching team's coach immediately started chirping at him.

FYI, when an umpire says, "What was that?" or something similar, he's letting you know you are about to get the ban hammer.  Arguing balls and strikes is an automatic ejection in baseball.  You *CAN* appeal on rules, ask for explanations, etc., but arguing balls and strikes is verboten.  In this case, the umpire told him to cool it, and he kept going.  So the umpire followed up with the obligatory I'm-about-to-toss-you question, and the coach kept right on going.  So the umpire did his job and tossed him.  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Rather than leaving as required by the rules, the coach went on to the playing field and escalated the altercation with the umpire.  He took it to personal insults; this is no longer a disagreement about balls and strikes.  The umpire -- CORRECTLY according to the rules -- told the coach he had 30 seconds to leave the facility or the game would be ruled a forfeit.  

Rather than leaving AS REQUIRED BY THE RULES so his kids could play baseball, he kicked dirt at the umpire.  So he escalated it to physical acts against the umpire.  According to the rules, the umpire should then rule the game a forfeit, which he did. 

This isn't one poor decision by the coach.  This is a STRING of poor decisions and poor sportsmanship that had multiple effects on other people:

1- Kids learn by watching adults.  They are going to grow up and act this way, and then claim "that's how the game is played."

2- The kids had their game cut short; they don't get to play baseball any more today.

3-  The kids lose.

I f you mess with the bull you're gonna get the horn.

Looks like the team that got thrown out because of the coach's foul should be looking for someone else.

In the majors, getting tossed is sometimes a strategy. The manager can’t seem to get his players into the game mentally and is trying one last effort to get them fired up. I’ve heard of managers going to the ump and screaming about what they had for breakfast, how much their wives are spending. Or any number of things they feel like saying just to get the process going. It’s quite comical actually. And then there are times when they just act the fool, like this yahoo. Completely uncalled for. 

31 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

In the majors, getting tossed is sometimes a strategy. The manager can’t seem to get his players into the game mentally and is trying one last effort to get them fired up. I’ve heard of managers going to the ump and screaming about what they had for breakfast, how much their wives are spending. Or any number of things they feel like saying just to get the process going. It’s quite comical actually. And then there are times when they just act the fool, like this yahoo. Completely uncalled for. 

That's very true, but as you pointed out, it does not apply to children.

I was asked by the local T-Ball group to umpire.  I agreed but told them I would take no abuse. Shortly into my career I was forced to remove an entire bench load of T-Ball Mommies.  They suggested that I would no longer be needed for the position.They were surprised when I told them how pleased I was.

Archived