SASS Wire Forum

Uberti “Doc” Hammer replacement

Block

Just bought my first Revolver, Uberti Cattleman “Doc” SAA 1873 45 colt replica. Worked great for about 100 rounds now the spring/safety pin is acting up already. Trying to delete the safety pin system with a new hammer.  Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where and what hammer to order. Local gunsmith seemed a little confused today about what to do... thanks 

Step one find a new gunsmith. Sounds like that one may not work on cowboy guns much. Try giving Lassiter a call. Google toms single action shop in ohio. May cost a little extra for shipping but it'll be done right.

2 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Step one find a new gunsmith. Sounds like that one may not work on cowboy guns much. Try giving Lassiter a call. Google toms single action shop in ohio. May cost a little extra for shipping but it'll be done right.

Thanks for that! That’s probably the smart thing to do. I told him to call me when he thinks he’s found a hammer that will work. If this isn’t within a few days I’m guna just go grab the gun and ship to a recommended gunsmith, any good ones in California or close ?

3 minutes ago, Block said:

Thanks for that! That’s probably the smart thing to do. I told him to call me when he thinks he’s found a hammer that will work. If this isn’t within a few days I’m guna just go grab the gun and ship to a recommended gunsmith, any good ones in California or close ?

I dont know anyone personally in CA but there's plenty of SASS members and clubs there someone else may be able to chime in. On simple stuff I do most of my own work. here's a link to where you can find the hammer I think you're looking for. They arent cheap though. 

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/uberti/black-powder-rev-uber/1873-sa-cattleman

Last I heard Uberti had stopped making hammers without the retractable firing pins and the supply of the older fixed fp hammers had dried up.  I have heard of folks using jb weld or just welding the rod that holds the firing pin open in place making it no longer retractable. 

I'll second finding a Cowboy gunsmith.

You can check with Ken Griner here in New Mexico Griner Gun Works

Largo

FYI.  If you do locate a "pre-safety" hammer, you also need to change to the "pre-safety" trigger as well.  You could also have the revolver repaired under warranty and continue with the safety hammer.

22 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

FYI.  If you do locate a "pre-safety" hammer, you also need to change to the "pre-safety" trigger as well.  You could also have the revolver repaired under warranty and continue with the safety hammer.

Yeah but it lasted 100 rounds and started to fail... don’t trust it..seems like the general consensus more people hate and have issues with it than like it.. Shop said 3-5 months standard on warranty work with Uberti + with what’s goin on with this Virus who knows.  

Thanks for that, I was wondering/ figured something with the trigger would have to change as well.

I had a Uberti that started acting up like that...but with considerably more rounds through it. I took things apart.....took the actuator pin out....took the firing pin out...cut a piece of drill bet it fit...basically a three click with a solid firing pin. No ,more troubles

24 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

I had a Uberti that started acting up like that...but with considerably more rounds through it. I took things apart.....took the actuator pin out....took the firing pin out...cut a piece of drill bet it fit...basically a three click with a solid firing pin. No ,more troubles

I read about some people doing this. I feel like eventually I’d like to make changes to this gun either way,,, so might as well start with a whole new hammer/trigger and get it “right” to start...

Guys thanks for the replies,,, very helpful! I will be gettin the gun back this week and sending off to Boomstick in Tx shortly for some work... 

Archived