SASS Wire Forum
Warden Callaway

Stevens 250 12 gauge rebuild project - winter 2020

This project has been leaning in the corner for a couple of years.  A month ago I took it up to the workbench to get started on it and a couple of other projects jumped in ahaed of it.   But today, I actually did some stuff.  This is rough cut video.  I'm not happy with the sound.  I will probably narrate over it. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Agree about the sound.

Great video otherwise. 

Do you know when the SG was made?

I may be able to find a range of years produced. 

• Thanks 1

I have a Central Arms Co. 3012 which if my research is correct, is a Stevens model 215. Best I can tell, mine was produced in 1919. Your 250 looks similar in time period as the stock and fore end are nearly identical to mine.

Old Double.1.jpg

Old Double.3.jpg

Old Double.2.jpg

• Thanks 1

More rough edit video. I boiled the action parts in the ultrasonic cleaner for several cycles yesterday afternoon.  I got the top tang inlet and quit for the day.  I'm optimistic the other parts will not take as much time or effort. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stay with it and the updates, please!

Cat Brules

Got more done on fitting the buttstock. I had to move the action back about 1/10" to get it aligned with buttstock screw lug. Along the way I'm testing screws and breaking them loose. 

• Thanks 1

this is so cool , ive not had the time or inclination - never had one of 'those' projects yet , this is letting me see all that might entail , thanks , 

It was in the 60s over the weekend and Monday .  We had a lot of outside work to catch up on.  The weather truned to winter again yesterday. We got out early before the ol'fooks got out and stocked up on groceries.   There was a cold rain falling by the time we got home.  I put the blade back on the loader in preparation for the 6-7" predicted snow.

I spent most of this morning inleting the lower tang and installing the trigger guard.  Another rough edited video of the progress.

• Thanks 1

I did a Stevens 311 20 ga years ago. Had MANY hours invested but it came out real nice. I never did fit a butt plate to it for some reason. Planned on checkering it but did not have the nerve after buying the tools

Most Excellent Warden

The next installment.   I got the side locks inlaid. 

I'm going to work at taking the video I've shot and edit it into one that is hopefully better and not nearly as long as these rough edited update videos. 

• Thanks 1

Well,  my black powder box project,  one Pietta stubnose 44 and two old Colts took up time I could have uses on the Stevens 250 project. But this morning I knocked out the last part that I bedded with Acraglas.  I may not do too much more on it this winter.  It may carry over until next.

• Thanks 1

I hit a milestone this morning.   I have the Stevens 250 in one working unit. Still lots of work to be done.

2012765359_Stevens250projectFeb2020.jpg.b551b5a4730a18b29d51cefc91d87c1e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work! It's really coming along and looks fantastic.