SASS Wire Forum

A Patriot Christmas greeting

Lawdog Dago Dom

181210-O-ZZ999-349.JPG

John Philip Sousa, who grew up during the Civil War, was a talented musician who became a long-time director of the U.S. Marine Band. Known as the “March King,” he was a rock star of his time, eventually starting his own band in 1892.

On Christmas Day 1896, while crossing the Atlantic on his way home from a European vacation, Sousa’s lasting legacy came to him. He said the notes for “Stars and Stripes Forever” were born out of homesickness and fond memories of his time as the Marine Band’s leader.

The iconic song officially became America’s national march in 1987.

So this holiday season, while you’re enjoying leave, family, friends and feasts, think of some of your fellow troops, past and present, who had to forgo their holidays for the greater good of the country.  While you’re at it, you might even want to put on “Stars and Stripes Forever” in their honor.

181210-O-ZZ999-349.JPG

John Philip Sousa, who grew up during the Civil War, was a talented musician who became a long-time director of the U.S. Marine Band. Known as the “March King,” he was a rock star of his time, eventually starting his own band in 1892.

On Christmas Day 1896, while crossing the Atlantic on his way home from a European vacation, Sousa’s lasting legacy came to him. He said the notes for “Stars and Stripes Forever” were born out of homesickness and fond memories of his time as the Marine Band’s leader.

So this holiday season, while you’re enjoying leave, family, friends and feasts, think of some of your fellow troops, past and present, who had to forgo their holidays for the greater good of the country.  While you’re at it, you might even want to put on “Stars and Stripes Forever” in their honor.

My father was drafted during the Korean War, but was sent to Germany. One Saturday we were riding in his truck and "Stars and Stripes Forever" was played by a local AM station. Must have been for Memorial Day because Dad always took me to that ceremony. As he drove and the song played I noticed his eyes tearing up and I asked if he was ok. He said on Saturday on his Army base the platoons would gather on the parade grounds in dress uniforms and march to that song. He said the song, all the guys in uniform, the band, and the flag always gave him a lump in his throat during those Saturdays. And it still did many years later. And now I have that same feeling that he did. As do our sons.

Thanks for the post, Cheyenne Ranger. It brought back some good memories.

181210-O-ZZ999-349.JPG

Or Blood on the Risers. :D:lol:

I have the Detroit Concert Band's six cassette set of Sousa's complete collection. I play it all of the time, interspersed, of course, with the Marine Corps Hymn!!!  :lol:

My wife, a piccolo player, isn't overly thrilled with it. Out of all the times we've been in bands that have done it, she's only had to do the Grandioso once solo, and wasn't too happy about it. She did get a round of applause, but would've rather not had to have played it.

Listening to a good rendition of it does bring tears to my old myopic eyes:FlagAm::blush:

We had one that went to the tune of Jingle Bells but it's certainly not for mixed company. :D

Archived