SASS Wire Forum

Home Aquariums

Yul Lose

I was raised in a house where there was always a small aquarium or Bell jar with guppies, Betas, Angel Fish or whatever in them and when I married the daughter of a taxidermist who also had a aquarium shop in the front of his store we had aquariums. I used to raise discus and and Angel fish but before I went under the knife for major back surgery in 1992 I sold all of my tanks and breeder stock and never got back into it. When my grandkids were growing up, just down the street, I bought them an aquarium and stocked it. They didn’t seem to interested and it eventually turned into a terrarium where my son in law that’s 3 years older than I am keeps his snakes that he finds out in the yard. The room that I used to have my tanks set up in has been taken over by Mrs. Lose and is an office. I’m contemplating getting back into the fish raising business as it was very interesting and I could sit for hours and watch my discus and angle fish swim around. Do any of you have aquariums set up? What’s in them?

My daughter has two aquariums in her room one a 30 gallon, I believe, and one a small ten gallon. I would have to get her to list what she has in them. I know a betta, corydoras, rasboras and a plecostomus are among them.

I have a ten gallon running in my home office. It is a hexagonal design, and Mrs. Doc got if for me for my first Father's Day. For the longest time it was my oldest daughter's "night light," until she needed a larger tank thanks to having a long lived plecostomus that outgrew it. It was carefully stored away until I decided to get it going again. The betta that I had in it passed recently, and I need to work on the pH of the water to get it down before getting another. I will likely add a few corydoras as well when I do.

I was started on Aquariums when I was five. My mother thought it would be a great idea to raise and sell aquarium fish. The venture never succeeded. We had several hundred gallons on various size tanks. 

I set up my last aquarium about 25 years ago. An 80 gallon unit with two filters and multiple pumps. I was always attracted to live bearer fish and enjoyed watching them multiply an selling off the young to a local aquarium store. I eventually got tired of all the work it took and the dry tank still sits in my living room as a static terrarium with nothing in it. When strangers come to the house they always spend some time looking for the animals that they think might be hiding out of sight.

For decades had two 10 gallon aquariums, a 55 gallon aquarium, and a 120 gallon aquarium with live plants. Then later dropped everything but the 120 gallon. Always kept community tanks in the larger tanks or Angel Fish. Second divorce and working three jobs killed the 120 and it sat for years unused. Then 2 years ago decided to restart it as I had had it before with live plants, cleaned it up and got new led plant lights, new filters, soil and sand, new CO2 set up, the whole nine yards and then had  family deaths, heart attack, 3rd divorce. Finally was about to get around to setting it up again when Illinois went fully deep blue and anti-gun (years past had southern state dems who would stick up for gun rights but last election put a supermajority anti-gun crowd in power with a dem governor). Lost my FFL of 20 years due to new restrictive state licensing and was forced to send a third of my guns and mags out of state to family in free states. That in combination of higher taxes on virtually everything and a resulting higher cost of living have me looking at relocating once my youngest is out of college and I can retire. Thus I am hesitant to set up a live plant aquarium with sand and soil that I would have to tear down to move. Hope you follow your heart and give it a try, always loved a well kept aquarium. I was going to go with Angels and Rainbow fish and an assortment of live plants with good soil and a nice rock and wood structure to accent the plants and fish. 

Had a talk 20 gallon tank when my boy was little. We put a tiny bluegill in it. Tried to have other fish but the gill would kill them immediately. We would put in two dozen feeder guppies for a treat and hand feed him night crawlers. Weighed well over a pound when he died. I'd love to have a small walleye.

Had  55 and 30 gallon tanks back in the early 80's. The 55 had a breeding pair of Jack Dempsey's, a Red Devil, a Great Northern Pike and a Catfish of some type. The Dempsey's produced several batches of young that we sold. The Red Devil and the Dempsey's never went at each other to my surprise but none of them liked the Pike.

The pike didn't care, he just stayed under his rock until feeding time and then zip around, get what he wanted and go back under the rock. After what turned out to be the last batch of Dempsey's produced, the male Dempsey killed the female for some reason. I got divorced shortly after that and she took the tanks and fish although the Dempsey thing had nothing to do with the divorce.

I still like watching someone else's fish but at this point in my life, an aquarium would be just too much work and hearing that water being cycled would make me want to go to the bathroom all of the time.:lol:

Had  55 and 30 gallon tanks back in the early 80's. The 55 had a breeding pair of Jack Dempsey's, a Red Devil, a Great Northern Pike and a Catfish of some type. The Dempsey's produced several batches of young that we sold. The Red Devil and the Dempsey's never went at each other to my surprise but none of them liked the Pike.

The pike didn't care, he just stayed under his rock until feeding time and then zip around, get what he wanted and go back under the rock. After what turned out to be the last batch of Dempsey's produced, the male Dempsey killed the female for some reason. I got divorced shortly after that and she took the tanks and fish although the Dempsey thing had nothing to do with the divorce.

I still like watching someone else's fish but at this point in my life, an aquarium would be just too much work and hearing that water being cycled would make me want to go to the bathroom all of the time.:lol:

You’ve got that problem too??? If I hear water running I’ve got to go drain it too!!

You’ve got that problem too??? If I hear water running I’ve got to go drain it too!!

Hear running water, see running water, think about running.... gotta go. Night folks!

Archived