SASS Wire Forum

Winchester Model 70 mfg 1983 30-06 20" barrel

Trooper Ozzy

Don't know why I bid on it, but it looks almost unfired and its mine now ($300) Fore arm does not have a cap or Schnabel; looks to be a Sporter. Was a carbine made or was the barrel cut from 24"?  Cheap scope and high mounts will come off. Besides a few deer with my cowboy 92, over 100 with my Marlin 336c (Remington core-lokt 150 gr.) What cartridge should I use with this for a whitetail?

71-5.jpg

I would buy some Hornady 150 grainers and sight them to hit 2” to 3” high at 100 yards so’s you can put the reticle in the middle of the deer out to about 300 yards and get ready to fire up the grill.  :)

Nice score by the way.  Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket.

1 minute ago, Trooper Ozzy said:

300 yards?  That's a long way to drag some venison LOL. 

True dat!

I have become more discriminating when taking a shot these days, compared to my younger days when my knees and lower back did not complain at the slightest provocation!!

It would have to have a very large rack for me to lose sight of my vehicle when breaking the shot.  ;)

We expect pictures when you take one with that new beauty, don’t you know.

Back in that time-frame they offered a version called the "Light Weight" or something similar. Had a slimmer forend and 20 or 22 inch barrel.

Not to be confused with "Featherweight" which had a cheekpiece and schnabel forend. And cost more.

Good find.

Rex :D

Winchester M70 Lightweight Carbine.  Got the exact thing except in a short action and chambered in .250 Savage.  Good snag at $300. 

Aw, c'mon...leave those see-thru rings in place.  It'll be fun to look thru 'em and imagine what it'd be like if you had a set of open sights!

"Ad"  

Here's mine...

img%5D

• 2 weeks later...

Picked it up tonight. It was marked "carbine" on the barrel. No sights, plain barrel.  Looks fired once ...ramp to chamber no scratches, one small ring around firing pin on bolt. Gave the tasco 3x9 scope to kid at shop picking up a 243 ruger american, was trying to make a rimfire scope work...that wouldn't have lasted.  I'm looking for a 1.5-4 or 2-7.  Got the 165 gr bullets and will be working some loads. 4350 and 4064 powder not around in 1 lb, going to try some Nobel Vectan Tubal 5000.  Only 19.99 for 1.1 lbs. Really fits well. Quite the upgrade from my 336c.  Trying for one next week after sighting in. 

Archived