SASS Wire Forum

45 Colt+Balloon Head Case+.458 Bullet = KaBoom!

Rancho Roy

Well,  I reckon they finally got the bugs worked out of it. 

Just to nit pick this some.  Likely not the last cartridge showing fired in the gun but 2nd to last.     The case that exploded was more likely in the middle of the cylinder and  blew the top half of the cylinder off and ack strap.  I've seen this happen once before, and it crushed the cartridge as show, that was just fired, ignited the cartridge on the other side of the gun and took the top of the frame with it when the middle cartridge blew. 

• 2 weeks later...

I read SIXGUNS and I certainly could've missed it, but I don't recall him loading .458" bullets in a 45 Colt. I know he did commonly resize rifle bullets to use in handguns. Does anyone recall what chapter in the book he describes this?

Elmer wasn't insane at all. There is so much misinformation about him on forums, mostly I think, by folks who have never read any of his books.

Cholla

16 hours ago, Cholla Hill Tirador said:

I read SIXGUNS and I certainly could've missed it, but I don't recall him loading .458" bullets in a 45 Colt. I know he did commonly resize rifle bullets to use in handguns. Does anyone recall what chapter in the book he describes this?

Elmer wasn't insane at all. There is so much misinformation about him on forums, mostly I think, by folks who have never read any of his books.

Cholla

I believe, and I’m not 100% sure, when he blew that one up he was shooting a 258 gr. Remington soft lead bullet. He used the Lyman 458191 and 458192 sized down in his revolvers to get a heavier bullet. I’ve done quite a bit just try it and they work. But now that better designed, heavier bullets are available, there is no need.

57 minutes ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

I believe, and I’m not 100% sure, when he blew that one up he was shooting a 258 gr. Remington soft lead bullet. He used the Lyman 458191 and 458192 sized down in his revolvers to get a heavier bullet. I’ve done quite a bit just try it and they work. But now that better designed, heavier bullets are available, there is no need.

I've thumbed through my copy of SIXGUNS but can't find the 4th of July event, I know it's there, just haven't found it yet. I intend someday to re-read the book and dogear all the pages with relevant info.

I did find where he mentions sizing "45-90 bullets" down for use in his 45 Colt's and I assumed it/they were from a 457191 mould.

Cholla

26 minutes ago, Cholla Hill Tirador said:

I've thumbed through my copy of SIXGUNS but can't find the 4th of July event, I know it's there, just haven't found it yet. I intend someday to re-read the book and dogear all the pages with relevant info.

I did find where he mentions sizing "45-90 bullets" down for use in his 45 Colt's and I assumed it/they were from a 457191 mould.

Cholla

It is in Hell I Was There and also in Kieth.

I believe that it was this event that got him to start working with the .44 Special.

Duffield

Archived