SASS Wire Forum

Rear sight for Uberti 1866 Carbine

Gringo Starr

I recently bought a Uberti 1866 Carbine in .45LC and when I went to replace the the rear sight I found that the dovetail isn’t a standard 3/8in (.375) slot.  It appears to be .340. I’ve looked at Marbles and others and so far haven’t found anything that will fit the .340 dovetail.  Any suggestions?

Thanks Rafe

I got a suggestion from Joe at PGW to file a standard site down with a triangle file to fit the smaller dovetail.  I have fold down site from a 10/22 so I’m going to give it a shot.  I’ll let you know how it turns out. 

Well I tried the triangle file on the 10/22 sight and it worked. Took a while to get that much material off. I was checking it with a caliper every 10-12 strokes to make sure I didn’t go too far. Kind of one of those deals where one stroke of the file could take it over the edge.  Painted the raw metal with some matte black paint. 

Thanks for the input fellas. 

A6CB6D94-21BC-4D0B-A734-FAB09C2C6550.jpeg

4 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

10/22 flip up sight has worked well on mine for near 10 years!

That one has been on my '66 for 19 years!  Got the 10/22 front sight on as well (very small bead but I like it), though of course mine is not a carbine.

You have one that the dovetail is too close for a Marbles sight. I'd get the one from track of the wolf and you file the base of the sight until it fits correctly. They are adjustable too. I installed a few of those TOTW sights on 66's until I learned the dovetails on some are further out and will accept a short marbles sight...….then I just bought those. 

1 hour ago, Cowboy Junky said:

PS if you haven't already done it you might like one of these Pioneer speed sights for the front. 

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/uberti-rifle-parts

Got one on order along with a short-stroke kit and some screws. 

Looks like the speed sight will be a big improvement.  

Thanks

Many, many years ago I put Lyman Plains Rifle (a muzzleloader)  rear sights on my Uberti Henry 44-40 and on an early model 66 in 38 special.  The dovetails fit perfectly.  On the 66, I had to mount the sight backwards due to not enough space between the dovetail and the face of the receiver.  This Lyman Plains Rifle sight is a beautiful buckhorn design and very period correct looking.  Sure was a tremendous improvement to the stock flip up sights on both rifles.  Driftwood liked it as he did the same on his Henry after viewing mine and getting the pertinent poop!!, I believe.

4 hours ago, Grizz Henry said:

Many, many years ago I put Lyman Plains Rifle (a muzzleloader)  rear sights on my Uberti Henry 44-40 and on an early model 66 in 38 special.  The dovetails fit perfectly.  On the 66, I had to mount the sight backwards due to not enough space between the dovetail and the face of the receiver.  This Lyman Plains Rifle sight is a beautiful buckhorn design and very period correct looking.  Sure was a tremendous improvement to the stock flip up sights on both rifles.  Driftwood liked it as he did the same on his Henry after viewing mine and getting the pertinent poop!!, I believe.

Thanks Grizz

Im going to stick with the modified 10/22 sight for now.  It works well with the PGW speed sight on the end.

May change it out for a more traditional look later. 

Archived