SASS Wire Forum

Russian Destroyer almost hits US Ship

We have a tradition of "fooling" with the Russians. Sedalia Dave is probably correct.

In the video clip below it's apparent the Russian's instigated the near collision. Stuff like this used to happen all the time but no one really knew about it at home because we didn't have shipboard internet and the communications we have today. Also, there wasn't a political agenda to draw attention to things like this as there is today.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/russian-destroyer-admiral-vinogradov-nearly-collides-uss-chancellorsville-warship-today-2019-06-07/

When my ship was in the Med (Mediterranean) we messed with the Russians all the time. We would chase their trawlers until they ran out of fuel. They would do stuff like what was reported above. When they did we were all instructed to smile and wave. No "bird flipping" or "mooning" them. Officers on the bridge would put on funny wigs and beards so the Russians couldn't get good photos of the command staff. Our Captain loved messing with the Russians. We loved the fact that he did.

In the video I saw it was full daylight.  All alarms would have been raised.  It was then the game of who flinches first. 

As a side note - when I toured a Russian cruiser in '92, the weapons systems were impressive,  there just wasn't any way to reload them.  Almost all were stand alone systems. 

BS

I get a kick out of all the Hoopla going on now.  We and the Russians have been buzzing each other for decades.  Move along, nothing to see here....

We and the Russians have been playing chicken with ships for Decades.  Move along, these aren't the Droids your looking for.

The game of chicken was a lot more interesting when it was played with Submarines.  May still be doing that.  Move along, nothing to see here......

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

The game of chicken was a lot more interesting when it was played with Submarines.  May still be doing that.  Move along, nothing to see here......

So far at least the silent service still is. 

Maybe the answer might be a couple of destroyers, secretly constructed, with ice breaker bows.

Just saying.

Archived