SASS Wire Forum

45/70 Taper crimp die

Major Crimes

I cant find a Taper crimp die for 45/70?

Is the Redding profile crimp die the same thing?

I am loading long 535gr cast proj and I find the Lee Factory crimp a bit bulky and am wondering if a taper crimp will load easier?

Any thoughts?

I use Lyman dyes for my 45-70, which is a roll crimp. I only shoot them in a single shot though and crimp just enough to straighten out the slight bell from the expander die.

Seems like the Redding profile I use for 38s is a roll crimp as well, could be different for a 45-70 though.

4 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

I am loading long 535gr cast proj and I find the Lee Factory crimp a bit bulky and am wondering if a taper crimp will load easier?

Any thoughts?

I’m not an expert but I believe the profile crimp is what you’re looking for.

7 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

Any thoughts?

Don't crimp so hard.  I recently discovered you can cause a bulge in the case if you crimp with too much force with the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Especially when crimping in the crimp groove.

10 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

Thanks all will give those a try.

Its for that new fangled smokey less powder (still looks kinda black to me:blink:)

Be well worth it to buy another FL size die and set it up with a lock-ring etc, to just close the case mouth to let you chamber the round.

OLG

Archived