SASS Wire Forum

Converting a Uberti 1860 Henry from 44-40 to 44 special, how?

Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439

24 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Really, breaking the law driving drunk is being equated to what I am doing?  Are you serious?  Well then Elmer Keith must have really been breaking the law creating the .44 magnum round by putting more powder into the .44 special cartridge then he should have?   So Mr. Junior member perhaps you should be more careful in what you post?  My fingers are fine and still working the computer that got me the alias!  Maybe you should think before you post, if I remember correctly Eagle Scouts were more respectful than you seem to be.

Elmer Keith blew up more than one gun developing the .44 mag and wrote that he was injured doing it. I didn’t say anything about breaking the law. I just said it was unsafe.

and it actually is against the law. Changing the caliber of a firearm and not marking it with the proper caliber is a federal offense but hey, I’m just a junior member. 

1 minute ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

Elmer Keith blew up more than one gun developing the .44 mag and wrote that he was injured doing it. I didn’t say anything about breaking the law. I just said it was unsafe.

and it actually is against the law. Changing the caliber of a firearm and not marking it with the proper caliber is a federal offense but hey, I’m just a junior member. 

Is driving drunk against the law or not?

And I am sure that it is against the law to sell a gun not properly marked, who is selling? I told Nelson that I was either going to be buried with it or give it to my son and he won't mind.  If I have to sell I will have the barrel replaced and give the modified one to the buyer.

Can't blow up the barrel too little pressure, 100 hundred rounds thru it, not one incident. 

Didn't say that Elmer didn't injure himself said he was breaking the law "driving drunk"  by putting more powder in a cartridge that was against the rules? 

So Boggus am I done or is there more you want to accuse me of? 

2 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Is driving drunk against the law or not?

And I am sure that it is against the law to sell a gun not properly marked, who is selling? I told Nelson that I was either going to be buried with it or give it to my son and he won't mind.  If I have to sell I will have the barrel replaced and give the modified one to the buyer.

Can't blow up the barrel too little pressure, 100 hundred rounds thru it, not one incident. 

Didn't say that Elmer didn't injure himself said he was breaking the law "driving drunk"  by putting more powder in a cartridge that was against the rules? 

So Boggus am I done or is there more you want to accuse me of? 

I didn’t accuse you of anything. You blatantly stated you were unsafe. 

Your rifle had been butchered by an imbecile. It’s dangerous, and not SASS legal. Wether you travel around or not or where you place on the score sheet has absolutely nothing to do with wether or not the rules apply to you. The fact that you are willing to subject others to injury to save a couple bucks is appalling. 

Nimble Fingers ;

With your Disregard for common sense Rules and proven Safety Procedures ,,,,, Please DO NOT take-up reloading !!!

We will all be grateful in this regard ....

I hope to never being near you at a range ...

Been Smithing Guns for 45 years and doing Ballistic testing for 37  and hope to make that 50 years for both ....

Jabez Cowboy

5 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Are you serious?  Well then Elmer Keith must have really been breaking the law creating the .44 magnum round by putting more powder into the .44 special cartridge then he should have?   

Obviously, you won't want to here this factoid--Keith blew up a bunch of guns in this quest.........;)

Just 'cause you can- doesn't mean ya should. -_-

Carry on,

OLG

As to fire-forming Brass ,,, this is done WITH-OUT expanding the Base of the case expansion in this area is dangerous ,,, it allows the Primer pocket to expand and hot high pressure gasses to come back threw the firing pin hole and into the shooters face ... This hot gas often also carries pieces of primer , other metal pieces and may include the tip of the firing pin ... None of which is good for the shooters eyes or face ... If the case ruptures ,,,, more bad things can happen including a failure of barrel and action ring... also broken bolt parts coming out of loading and ejection port DO pose a risk to shooter and others....

I Have fire-formed 8 x 57 brass to form 9.3 x 57 brass this moves the shoulder a very slight amount and opens the neck up to take a .366 dimeter bullet instead of one measuring .323 ,,, this is best done with-out a bullet ... But since I purchased Hornady Dies it is no longer a issue I just size New 8x57 brass in my 9.3 x 57 dies ....

I truly hope you will never sell that JW 92 to anyone ...

Jabez Cowboy

What's the exact infringement upon the sass rules by using a JackWagonized 92? A safe firearm isn't specifically defined...

What are the exact certifications of knowledge involved with being a gunsmith and ballistic tester? 

What is the advantage of using .44 special brass in a bottleneck application other than being horrendously cheap and foreswearing the advantage of the case mouth sealing that keeps the action clean? 

Why wouldn't you rebarrel or purchase a rifle in the desired caliber even if it involved trading off the .44-40 to effect said change? 

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Obviously, you won't want to here this factoid--Keith blew up a bunch of guns in this quest.........;)

Just 'cause you can- doesn't mean ya should. -_-

Carry on,

OLG

There’s Lumpy!  You are late to the party?  I expected you to make a comment like you do to most of the post here on the first page!

Thanks for the “factoid” but I didn’t say he didn’t get hurt, for the second time. I said he might not have been “breaking the law” by putting more powder in the case than he should. That was the what the other poster was applying, I was breaking the law and going to lose my fingers. Wrong on both counts. 

And if Elmer hadn’t pushed the envelope I would have a Colt Anaconda, Ruger OMV or a Desert Eagle to shoot in .44 mag. And I am sure that the same steel barrel is on both my JW 92 in .44-40 and my regular 92 in .44 mag so nothing is going to happen to my fingers. 

I'm not a gunsmith, don't pretend to be or even know what the  "industry safe limits" are.  But, since the description seems to say that the base of the case forward of the ejector groove is not supported, this does not appear to fall under "industry safe limits"  I'd bet that many Match Directors, if they knew of that modification, would not allow the rifle to be used.

"- Barrels or chambers may be re-bored, lined, or sleeved to any of the approved calibers or gauges for that particular firearm provided industry safe limits are maintained."

SHB ver 23.2 pg 34

"Any firearm modification not specifically referenced in this Handbook is prohibited."

Use of an illegal or illegally modified firearm is an SDQ, two SDQ's would be a Match DQ

1 hour ago, Carolina Gunslinger said:

What's the exact infringement upon the sass rules by using a JackWagonized 92? A safe firearm isn't specifically defined...

What are the exact certifications of knowledge involved with being a gunsmith and ballistic tester? 

What is the advantage of using .44 special brass in a bottleneck application other than being horrendously cheap and foreswearing the advantage of the case mouth sealing that keeps the action clean? 

Why wouldn't you rebarrel or purchase a rifle in the desired caliber even if it involved trading off the .44-40 to effect said change? 

2 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

As to fire-forming Brass ,,, this is done WITH-OUT expanding the Base of the case expansion in this area is dangerous ,,, it allows the Primer pocket to expand and hot high pressure gasses to come back threw the firing pin hole and into the shooters face ... This hot gas often also carries pieces of primer , other metal pieces and may include the tip of the firing pin ... None of which is good for the shooters eyes or face ... If the case ruptures ,,,, more bad things can happen including a failure of barrel and action ring... also broken bolt parts coming out of loading and ejection port DO pose a risk to shooter and others....

I Have fire-formed 8 x 57 brass to form 9.3 x 57 brass this moves the shoulder a very slight amount and opens the neck up to take a .366 dimeter bullet instead of one measuring .323 ,,, this is best done with-out a bullet ... But since I purchased Hornady Dies it is no longer a issue I just size New 8x57 brass in my 9.3 x 57 dies ....

I truly hope you will never sell that JW 92 to anyone ...

Jabez Cowboy

Gees Jabez I already said I wasn’t!  Did you miss that?  I said I was giving it to my son or being buried with it!  If I did sell it I would put a new barrel on it and sell it with the modified barrel. Please pay attention before you “wish” for something!

2 minutes ago, McCandless said:

I'm not a gunsmith, don't pretend to be or even know what the  "industry safe limits" are.  But, since the description seems to say that the base of the case forward of the ejector groove is not supported, this does not appear to fall under "industry safe limits"  I'd bet that many Match Directors, if they knew of that modification, would not allow the rifle to be used.

"- Barrels or chambers may be re-bored, lined, or sleeved to any of the approved calibers or gauges for that particular firearm provided industry safe limits are maintained."

SHB ver 23.2 pg 34

"Any firearm modification not specifically referenced in this Handbook is prohibited."

Use of an illegal or illegally modified firearm is an SDQ, two SDQ's would be a Match DQ

Wow last place in any category or shooting a match still in last place and being disqualified. Not a big difference to me. 

3 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Wow last place in any category or shooting a match still in last place and being disqualified. Not a big difference to me. 

You like shooting two stages and being sent packing?  Not a problem.

Archived