SASS Wire Forum

Those darn hung-up shotshells...%#s*@

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

While watching the latest post by @Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 below:

I picked up on his use of a SliX shotshell sizer. (skip to the 4:44 mark)

I then found the website where they can be purchased:

266733555_SliXShotshellSizer.JPG.260fcb3e8a104225ff75d95c1f4fdae2.JPG

And the subsequent review that was posted there.

How many of you have one of these on your gun cart, and do you use it primarily on reloaded shotshells, or factory shotshells, or both?

I mess with nothing at the range that can be avoided.   If I were to be resizing sticky hulls, I couldn't be helping on the stage.  Too little time, and it would take my concentration away (what little I have left, that is).

Instead, I use a shot shell checker gauge after loading - that's when I do have enough time to check loads.    UniqueTek, Jim Bowie, several sources.  I just found another one that is cheap - Lyman has a great 12 gauge loaded shell checker. 

The ones that don't pass the check - never make it to a match.  They get shot in practice.   Once a plastic hull deforms at the mouth enough to be sticky, my experience is that it NEVER can be saved to once again be a reliable shucker with any amount of temporary resizing.

Good luck, GJ

I picked up one because I love "toys."

used it yesterday for the entire match.  grab the shells for my belt a give them a quick couple of twists before putting them in.

Not sure it works but I didn't have a shell hang up as I loaded my SxS.  Could all be in my mind.

8 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I picked up one because I love "toys."

used it yesterday for the entire match.  grab the shells for my belt a give them a quick couple of twists before putting them in.

Not sure it works but I didn't have a shell hang up as I loaded my SxS.  Could all be in my mind.

It's called the "Placebo-effect". :lol:

OLG

31 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

It's called the "Placebo-effect". :lol:

OLG

Okay everybody, brace yourselves. I’m going to make a serious reply to an OLG post.B)

Say what you will but the “placebo effect” is real. The resizing gadget may not actually do what you think it’s doing but, using it can give you the peace of mind to know your shells are the proper size. If that gives you some extra measure of confidence then it’s well worth the price.

As far as Garrison Joe’s concern about concentration I say make it work FOR you. Top level shooters go through a mental prep for each stage. Use the resizing tool as a way of triggering your brain to relax. It only takes 30 seconds or so to resize the shells you’ll use for each stage. That’s plenty of time to get your brain ready to start your visualization of the stage.

I tend to agree with GJ.

I have a routine that I stick to so that by the time I reach the firing line all of the little things have been done the same as they were done at the last stage, last match, last year etc. and that includes a check of my SG shells. Those get checked at the reloader, boxed, then checked again at the cart before they are put in the belt. As has been said once they stick in practice (no matter how little) they go into the trash bin as it is not worth it to save and get one more reload out of them. If they fail a check at any point in their life.... history file, like doritos I will make more:D.

I have had shells swell on particularly hot days (even once fired) and fail the check, those go to practice bucket and then tossed. Every one has their own system and most of them work well, for me, I had my first stuck hull in a match (last weekend) that was the first in nearly 3 years.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

Okay everybody, brace yourselves. I’m going to make a serious reply to an OLG post.B)

Say what you will but the “placebo effect” is real. The resizing gadget may not actually do what you think it’s doing but, using it can give you the peace of mind to know your shells are the proper size. If that gives you some extra measure of confidence then it’s well worth the price.

That is not a case gauge-it just rounds the case mouth somewhat. If you have your crimp die set correctly. It should show the rounded edge/lip. I load off a 42+ yo, MEC 600jr.

I do my ammo ck'n before I leave home. This goes for any kind of shoot'n..............

Yes-I have a case gauge to ck my 12 ga reloads. ;)

Much easier to fix issues at home, than at the range.

OLG

A little over a year ago I started having AA hulls hang in my skb's. Started guageing at home and I averaged two to three shells per every three boxes I tested  that wouldn't fit the guage. This is factory bought low noise low recoil AA rounds folks. Guess Mr. Jedi got his hands on a bad box. I now guage all rounds at home.

I can't remember ever having a stuck hull, even in a bone stock SxS without polished chambers. I've shot a lot of commercial ammo, mostly STS and miscellaneous bargain Federals and some Featherlites back when that's what they were called. So far my reloads have all been in STS hulls. I run every one through a case gauge as it goes into the box and have had no trouble. I reload on perhaps the lowest tech machine on the planet, so low tech it's not really a machine at all, the Lee Load-All. I resize twice before I load which means I pull the lever eight times for one round. I go slow because there is no alternative. I don't need one more thing to do between stages when there are posse chores to be done.

Maybe  this could  replace a check gauge, run em through before you box them up.  Or maybe not, i don't know maybe shell's may swell before ya shoot em.  Just have to give it a try and see.  I haven't loaded many shotgun shell's since winchester started their rebate on shell's and can't say iv'e had any issue's with factory AA's sticking in my SxS, or STS when i get them occasionally.

Archived