SASS Wire Forum

Only About 900lbs More to Go

John Boy

Am in the process of remelting all my 1 & 2 lb muffin tin ingots of various alloys that are stacked 'everywhere' in the basement into 6 lb ingots.

Will provide me with less effort finding the alloy ratio of lead that I want to cast with, plus nice neat consolidated piles of ingots

* Three 6 pounders will easily fit into an empty 20 lb casting pot too :D

image.png.6cce9e7f30915bbe9cd2735edefe6255.png

Now I'm am jealous.    Used to have a lead supply, but couple of dopers broke into my shed a couple of years ago.  Got tools,etc and 1500 lbs of my lead stock.  Now I am struggling to keep up.    GW

Holy smoke's John Boy, that's a lot of lead.  Iv'e been wanting to start casting my on rb but finding lead seem's to be next to impossible around here.  Should i be looking for some where to buy it in bulk ?

8 minutes ago, Deadshot Dan said:

Holy smoke's John Boy, that's a lot of lead.  Iv'e been wanting to start casting my on rb but finding lead seem's to be next to impossible around here.  Should i be looking for some where to buy it in bulk ?

Have you tried your local recycling center?   I needed soft lead for the cap guns.   They had bunches of soft lead that came from wall lining used in a hospital. 

13 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Have you tried your local recycling center?   I needed soft lead for the cap guns.   They had bunches of soft lead that came from wall lining used in a hospital. 

No i haven't Warden, don't why i hadn't thought about that.  Guess that's why you got lead and i don't, LOL.  Thank's warden.

No i haven't Warden, don't why i hadn't thought about that.  Guess that's why you got lead and i don't, LOL.  Thank's warden.

What to look for at the recyclers:

* Sheet Lead - 99% pure lead

* Wheel Weights - about the alloy of Lyman #2 - for your smokeless powder reloads

My stash of lead primarily sheet lead from the recyclers is about 700 lbs of pure lead - rest is wheel weights - lino type (to alloy to Lyman #2 and 1:16 for black powder).  Rest is 1:10 - 1:20 - 1;30 and 1:40 alloys for specific caliber reloads

I'm not so scientific when looking at lead.  Where I bought my last lead, they had it all mixed in several barrels.  The sheet lead was obvious soft. I used my pocket knife to scratch other lead samples to get an idea of relative hardness.   Got about 20 lbs of big fishing weight sinkers at scrap prices.  

The sheet lead was rolled up sheets.  I knew I would have a problem getting it into a pot.  The had a big power sheer that they used to cut it up into smaller pieces.  

What kind of a price range should i look to give for pure lead per lb at a recycle center.  I have never dealt much with the one i know of locally but have heard other's say they may not be real trustworthy ?

2 hours ago, Deadshot Dan said:

What kind of a price range should i look to give for pure lead per lb at a recycle center.  I have never dealt much with the one i know of locally but have heard other's say they may not be real trustworthy ?

Local scrap yard wants $0.80/lb for lead pipe here. Seen it as low as 0.60 though

John Boy, great to see folks still doing this. With EPA being what it is, how long until this is restricted?

I will say to all, please ensure adequate ventilation while doing this. Protect yourself at all costs. Bravo!

old age and weaking of pretty much everything has moved me to the "buy lead already in ingots" group

I usually can find them for $1 per pound + shipping  which, I tell myself, is a good deal

will go out a try mining the SASS range once it dries out a bit just to see what's it like

glad many of you can find it cheaper even if you have to do some work on it

I work part-time at an auto group doing their maintenance at night. I get to three or four stores a week. Of course the tire balancers always need inspection. I get about five pounds of weights a week. Adds up 

Archived