SASS Wire Forum

Non-matching Revolver Barrel Lengths

Diablo Blanco

Howdy and welcome to the campfire! I use two SS 4 5/8" , matched and slicked, Ruger BHs. I have big hands and these seemed to fit me right. I shoot them in a crossdraw left and straight hang right configuration.  That is the way I was taught by my mentor Leadpusher. I am not a top shooter or anything...yet. I am very competitive and, for me at least, the shorter barrels seem to give me a quicker draw and reholster even if I do have to "do the dance". The faster I can shoot accurately, the happier I am!

22 hours ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

When I 1st started I was shooting a 5 1/2" OMV Ruger and a 1975 Remington 7 1/2" reproduction. I added a 7 1/2" OMV later all in 44-40. Plus a 1866 Yellowboy 24inch and a 1873 24inch rifles also 44-40. I just liked the 2 barrel length's when shooting revolvers. I ended up switching to 38/357 calibers (cheaper to shoot) and sold my OMV's to J Bar Binks along with a 66 rifle to help my switch over to 38's. I did the same when I went to the 38's. One 5 1/2" colt clone  and One 7 1/2" 1875 Remington. Since then I've been shooting assorted length open top conversions. Shoot what you like and have fun with what you choose.

J Bar didn't mention him shooting an 18 inch Buntline; now that was a hoot to watch him draw that. He was yodeling the whole time trying to get it drawn. :lol:

Charlie and Crusty are a Hoot to Shoot with, and I miss doing just that this year .... Sorry Boys for not Choking you with my masses of Smoke this year ....

3 of my Kids got married this summer/Fall,,, cut into my shooting some ...   Merry Christmas to Ya both ....

Jabez Cowboy

I shoot different lengths from a 3.5 in Thunderer to a 9.5 in Walker. Mostly I shoot a 7.5 in engraved pietta and a 4.75 in pietta pistolero both in nickel.  I also have a 5.5 in vaquero, a7.5 in Remington 1875,a 4 5/8 in blackhawk,2 7.5 in 1851 navies, an 8 in and a5.5 in1860 army. I have shot allof them in various combinations depending on what I feel like shooting at the time.

Always liked having the same length barrel.  Always thought you shouldn't be able to tell which gun is in your hand.  I was introduced to Short Barrel (Snubbie) Cap Guns one day.  then I built the rest of mine to match.  If the Barrel is longer-n-3 1/2 inches, yer waistin steel  :rolleyes:

I started with 5 1/2” barrels, one Ruger NMV and one Hawes Western Marshall, both .45 colt. I was shooting double duelist and the Ruger was my right hand gun. 

I switched to a 7 1/2” (1851) “man with no name” in .38 spl. and an 8” “Richard Mason Conversion” in a .38 spl. 

I then got 2 Uberti Walkers, 9”, converted them to .45 colt and started shooting gunfighter. 

I mostly try to shoot JWS and recently added a c&b 1851, .36 and 1860, .44. I have put the percussion cylinders, .44, in the Walkers and am waiting to try them out. ( in need of some powder )

I am no where near to a point where I could compete time wise with other shooters even with short barrels. 

I’m content meandering through the stages

Archived