SASS Wire Forum

CCH & cleaning (1873)

Tennessee Tom Aus

Just picked up my new Uberti 1873.

Just want to double check the Do's and Dont's on a gun with colour case hardening.

Usually when cleaning I use:

Hoppes No. 9

Hoppes Lubricating Oil

Silione Cloth

Am I right in saying that I should avoid getting Hoppes No. 9 on the CCH finish? Is it OK to use the silicone cloth on it?

Thanks

I don't think Hoppes will hurt CCH. I use Ballistol these days. You don't want Hoppes on Nickel and you shouldn't get much on the CCH anyways. Silicone cloth is fine. I shot my 1873 all season and have not cleaned it yet so I may not be your best mentor lol

Unless the Uberti CCH finish has changed the frame has a clear coat to make the faux* CCH shiny.  I have had a Beretta Goldrush (Uberti Lightning) for 8 years and it "HAD a clear coat.  I sprayed the inside of the receiver down with Remoil which softened the clear coat where it got on the outside.  I had to mask off the stock & wipe off the clear coat with a Remoil soaked rag.  The receiver no has a mat finish.

*Chemical wash process vs. traditional bone charcoal process used by Turnbull.

All of Uberti's color case is a chemical finish, has been for years.

I use most bore cleaners with no ill effect on the colors on my several Uberti 73s.

Good luck, GJ

I use shooters choice bore cleaner. Hasn't messed up any of my uberti cch guns. that's 7 pistols and 2 rifles. I must say I am probably the most anal gun cleaner on the wire. I clean my guns after shooting, always! It may take me a couple days to clean every gun I shoot at a day on the range, but they will be clean before shooting again.

Archived